Looking to buy a zero turn radius

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sydanna Lawn Care, Feb 29, 2008.

1. sydanna Lawn Care

sydanna Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I am looking at replacing my John Deere 345 lawn tractor & buying a zero turn radius mower. I have been looking at the John Deere 757, & 777. I wonder what you owners think about them, air cooled vrs. liquid etc... My 345 is a liquid cooled twin & I love it but the air has less maintenace issues??? Also, I am not John Deere loyal, anyone own different makes? How do you like them? Best mower for the money??? Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

2. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm surprised you like the liquid cooled 345. My dad's takes forever to warm up enough to engage the blades. I think it is wise to not be Deere loyal. I've seen a lot of instances where their quality has gone down but prices have gone up. My local Deere dealer sells Ferris zero turns 4:1 over the Deeres. I ran a 757 one time for a couple hours and felt like it was underpowered. There are lots of good brands to check out. Do you have any good commercial mower dealers nearby?

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Buy a mower that has a dealer near by. Make sure the dealer is good!!! I run a Bob-Cat zt and have 2 dealers in my town but each of them are horrible and didn't realize it until after I bought the mower. But I would say that Exmark is one of the best brands on the market today, a little pricey but for sure worth the money. But Deere is right up there with Exmark.

4. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

Your local dealer will not likely be a deere dealer within a year. Deere is forcing their dealers in the who have competing lines to drop all non Deere lines. Also, those who are not large dealers are being forced to buy or be bought out if they want to remain green. James River owns almost all the Deere dealerships in VA and many in NC. They're closing the smaller operations and from what I've read and heard via word of mouth from a few Deere dealers is that Deere wants the box stores for consumer equipment and a few mega dealers per state for everything else from lawn and garden to large ag equipment. That would make me wonder about the distance to
    travel for service work, plus it seems that if your dealer is handling a 40 or a 50k piece of ag equipment and also your 8k Z mower he's gonna tend to give priority to the higher dollar one cause it makes him/her more money, even though it may not be intentional.

In any case, first make sure you have a good local dealer and as for other lines I'm partial to Scag and Hustler. Gravely isn't bad either, but not quite on the same level imo....there are numerous other quality lines out there als

5. sydanna Lawn Care

That's a good point. The Deere dealer close to me, which is small, seems to have a temporary feel about it. I do have an Exmark dealership even closer to me. I own an Exmark Turf Tracer HP which I like. Mabey I'll take a closer look at the Exmark. I had a problem with the local Exmark dealer & stopped going there a few years ago. Mabey it's time to let them make it right. Anyway, thank everyone. Any Exmark owners out there?

6. DENNIS MOW

DENNIS MOW LawnSite Member

I like the hustler line my dealer is 25 min from me but it is well worth the drive they take great care of me when i have a problem i have been with them for years so i would make sure the dealer is off there word get it in writting if indoubt

7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Lets all be honest here. Most of the commercial ZTR mowers today are all built pretty good and most of them cut good. It all comes down to what brands your local dealer sells and how good they are at helping you if your mower breaks down or has an issue. You cant go wrong with any of these.

Exmark (just dont get a triton deck)
    Toro
    Gravely
    Bobcat
    Ferris
    John Deere 7 Iron II
    Everride
    Hustler
    Cub Cadet commercial
    Walker
    Wright mowers (These are manufactured not 15 minutes from me)

These are all well known quality machines that will last you many years.

The few mowers I will not own (I have my reasons and it is not dealer related but rather machine related)

Scag (never cut good for us. Always a shaggy looking cut)

Dixie chopper (In my eyes these are NOT built well and do not cut cleanly. Guys next to us had one then got rid of it after watching us cut with our Cub cadet Tank. They went and bought a new tank. There dixie chopper cut like $hit and always left clumps all over the place and had uncut strips of grass. They had to double cut every week)

8. lawnbutch

lawnbutch LawnSite Member
    from Colo.

Can any body tell us how many ZTR's there are on the market today!! The answer can be found in the February issue of PRO Mag and can be found at www.promagazine.com This is a free mag. so get on their site and find the answer and submit your name and get this free mag coming to your door, it has a lot of great info in each issue.

Mo

9. sydanna Lawn Care

QUOTE: Lets all be honest here. Most of the commercial ZTR mowers today are all built pretty good and most of them cut good. It all comes down to what brands your local dealer sells and how good they are at helping you if your mower breaks down or has an issue. You cant go wrong with any of these. END QUOTE>

YES! I agree. Where I am there are really only three dealers. John Deere, Exmark, & Scag. You are right, it's down to the dealer now. Scag lost out this morning. I felt like I was at a garage sale. So, it's between John Deere & Exmark now. Both dealers are quite close to me. I like thew JD 777. Not really sure which Exmark it comparable yet. Thanks so far to everyone..

10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

You cant go wrong with the 7 Iron II deck but try to stay away from the Exmark Triton deck. If you decide exmark then get the Lazer Z AS series mower with the ultra cut deck. To this day many people still consider the ultra cut deck to be the best deck anybody has ever made. It will clog up in wet conditions. The 7 iron II does not clog up like the exmark decks do and also produces a nice smooth cut. Either way I think you will be a happy camper!