looking to buy aerator

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by apowell18, Nov 7, 2006.

1. apowell18

apowell18 LawnSite Member

I have just started out this fall and have not had one call for mowing, however i have had over a dozen calls for aerating. I am tired of renting the aerator and would like to purchase one next year. Can some of you guys point me in the right direction so i can spend the winter researching those products? Appreciate it fellas...

2. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Jacobson which is the same as a Ryan, Jac owns Ryan, I have the Lawnaire IV, works good, but I would say go with Lescos which has the split drum which makes it so easy to turn, no lifting to turn. They are made by Clausen.

3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Here are a couple more options. At the end of the year a lot of rental yards will sell off their oldest units at a great price. Also, I am starting to see a lot of guys using pull behind units; some are the homeowner models and some are commercial. I don't know if they do as a good a job but they are really quick and a lot less work than the walk behind style. Also, check Ebay.

4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I have an older snapper cam drive aerator that I am looking to sell. If interested let me know.

Others to look at are Plugr.

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

If you can catch the rental dealers when they're selling, it can be a great deal. But if you go new, the Plugr is all I'll use from here on out.:)

6. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

I have never used a Plugr. What do you like about them?

7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

The fact that it doesn't beat the heck out of you and you can do more in a day.

8. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

I have a PlugR and like it very, very much....