Looking to Buy Lawn Maintenance Company

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by goodfellow, Nov 5, 2010.

1. goodfellow

goodfellow LawnSite Member

Whats this company worth? The company has website, phone book listings, many testimonials, 50 Lawn maintenance clients approx 25 Snow removal clients, grossing $70,000.00 per year and growing. $30,000.00 in equipment includes everything to get started. Just wondering what other experienced business owners think.

2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Its worth market value of equipment and 1 month of revenue. I wouldnt do any more then that.

3. studebaker48

studebaker48 LawnSite Member

i second that

4. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds about right to me.

5. JD2320

JD2320 LawnSite Member

Except you'd all be wrong. Service businesses with ongoing accounts are generally worth 1X to 1.5X earnings. Now there may be a basic calculation for how long the business has maintained 70,000 a year in revenues that supports the value too. For example if it is a new company, or have they been doing 60-80 K a year for 5-7 years and has there been turnover or not....that sort of thing.

But in my opinion to suggest the business is only worth 6-8000 dollars or 10 cents on the dollar is a bit ridiculous. Would any of you sell your accounts for 10 cents on the dollar?
    You can do a google search on the subject if you don't believe that.

The equipment is always a separate negotiation, obviously.

6. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Clients can walk at anytime. There are no contracts. You can get a lot of clients with 6-8k of advertising. Sorry, its not worth that much.

7. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

In answer to your question, Yes. On three different occasions with two different companies I have sold all or part of my company at these basic rates. On two separate occasions I have purchased other smaller companies for two weeks revenue, accounts only.

8. JD2320

JD2320 LawnSite Member

Well maybe it's different in the mowing industry. That's a shame. Your accounts and hard work is worth more.

9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

The higher rates do apply when your buying a business, not when your buying someone else's job. To have value a company must generate income for the owner without the owner working.

That is the difference between a company and a job. And that ladies and gentlemen is the difference between 1.5 times earnings and equipment value and 1 months revenue's.

10. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I agree, they can and often do walk.