1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Looking to buy skid steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Dan99, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Dan99

Dan99 LawnSite Member

Just to do stuff around the house with and probably rent to a landscaper which I trust to help with the payments since for me it`s just a liability.

I`d like to find something in decent shape, made late 90`s or early 2000 with 1500 hours or for around $8-10K. I`d like at least 1300lbs capacity Is that even possible?

This is what I found so far everything below these prices seems beat to hell or 13 hours away so maybe I`ll have to spend more in which case I may not be able to do it

2002 Caterpillar 226 Skidsteer, 800 hours, good condition, 75% tires, forks and tooth bucket $14K ( I think this is a good deal but a little more than I wanna spend)

Then there`s a Bobcat 773G with 2K hours used to snow plow.. asking 13,100 but will let it go for $12,800

Everything else below 12K has 3000+ hours it seems.

Any advice? Anyone know where else to look?
  2. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

You should be able to find some in that $10,000 range if you are just looking at a basic machine. I am partial to Case, the 1845c or 1840 are popular yet tough. I have seen 40xt and 60xt for sale at a good price also. New Holland 160/565 and 170/665 are nice little machines. Check www.machinerytrader.com in the skidsteer section, look through what brand catches your eye or is close by.
  3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Be sure to run them. I would buy a Cat or Case... you can get a Case 1840 for dirt cheap and they are very comfortable to operate. I have one for sale for 7k.
  4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I know this is the same as the Ford/Chevy/Dodge debate, you will get lots of answers. I used many different brands of skids before I bought my Cat 246, it just "felt" the best to me. I would recommend the Cat, it has been a great machine for us, doing landscape work, planting, grading, brush clearing, etc. Like with most things, I believe you get what you pay for.
  5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Anything BUT the Bobcat is good for a used machine, but it seems that the Cat's are the better choice, even all the machines at the loacal Cat Rentals in my town have high hours and no signs of "abuse".
  6. Dan99

Dan99 LawnSite Member

Good info thank you,
    As I started paying attention I see mostly Case New Holland or Cat on the construction sites and on back of trailers.. I guess I`ll keep looking.

Bobcat has a nice web page with their archives where I can find the capacities of all their machines, it`s harder to do with other brands. I find a Case for example then I spend 10 minutes trying to find out if it`s strong enough
    or converting back to LBS from KG since the only info is on a European site lol;)

How about this: (only 13 hours away:hammerhead:) Free shipping thou

"we have 3 top cat skid loaders in like new cond, with free shipping if needed, all 3 units under 800 hr #1 2003 236, #2 2003 246 #3 2004 252 all 3 units come with bukets call or email us get a super deal on all 3 units asking $13500 each"

As the numbers get higher the machine is more heavy duty?? Also can I presume the heavier the machine the more it`ll tear up the lawn?
    Which of those would be a good work horse and compare to a 773G Bobcat?

Thank you!

Lawnworks can you send me some info on yours...
  7. bobcat_ron

A 252 is the only one in the bunch that has the Vertical Path like the 773 Bobcat, but a 232 is the only one that matches (and beats) the 773 in Vertical Path and ROC, all the others are Radius Path, and out of the 3 that are listed, the 246 would be my choice.
  8. Dan99

Dan99 LawnSite Member

Vertical Path and ROC? I know I`m a newb

Bobcat Ron is a funny name for a guy with OCD :)
  9. bobcat_ron

Vertical path means the loader will make a straight line up as you raise it, you get all the reach from top to bottom, good for truck loading, Radius path means you get the maximum reach at half of the loader's raised height and you loose it at the full height, they are good for all out abuse or just general digging, but opinions vary on VP versus RP loaders.
  10. dogsluvtrux

dogsluvtrux LawnSite Member

Rule of thumb - If most of the work you would be doing is above your shoulders (Lifting, loading...) look at a vertical machine. If it is below you shoulders (Digging, backfilling....) look at a radial machine.

Another thing to look at is the history and work environment of the machine. If you can find something from a ag background (with the exception of fertilizer or some of the big dairy farms) it will usually have had a much easier life. A machine from a concrete company that has run a breaker...be careful of. Breakers are hard on the pins and bushings and that stuff can get expensive regardless of brand,

That being said, take a look at a Bobcat 753. 1300lbs of ROC and most of them (Key word most) have had an easier life since they are a smaller machine. In Chicago...take a look in downstate IL. Arthur (Amish community down bt Tuscola) has a lot of good used machines.