looking to buy this truck any input

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lawnkid14, Jul 1, 2011.

1. lawnkid14

lawnkid14 LawnSite Member

2. WillRyan

WillRyan LawnSite Member

try to get it cheaper

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

That truck would sell for that much or more all day long out here. Just check for rust because it's a Chevy and they like to rust BAD, like cab corners, fenders, under doors, etc. Also frame, hitch, etc.

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Any vehicle is going to rust eventually up here in MI. Typcially the dodges are the worst up here. Chevy's seem to hold up pretty well, but none the less can still have the rust spots on the lower portions of the truck.

I would honestly run away from that truck, FAST! The fact that the guy has put more aggressive tires/wheels on, dual exhaust and has had the tranny rebuilt at less than 150k, leads me to believe that this truck was driven pretty hard.

If I were you I'd try to find a stock truck. If you want to do some mods, do it yourself.

5. Aaronnc

Aaronnc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 7B

I wouldn't want no more than 7 1/2 - 7 3/4 in it. 8 tops once you put eyes on it and she's in the wrapper. They are going all day long on Manheim for 7-7.5 with dealers reselling them for 9.

If I were you, I'd check out the rubber and the body, and since he's done so much work to it, take a obd2 scanner with you to see if she's flashing you with any dirty thoughts. If everything is kosher and title is clean, I'd start at 7.5 and go to 8 tops.

(Carfaxes work at a dealer, worthless when buying from an individual. And only works at dealers if reported. I've seen salvaged titles and odo rollbacks never show on a carfax.)

Cheap Scanner: http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9125...R&s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1309545638&sr=1-59

Body Damage Gauge: http://www.amazon.com/Paint-Thickness-Tester-coating-thickness/dp/B004E780X4/ref=pd_sbs_auto_3

(Good stuff to have lying around regardless.)

Good Luck

6. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm with Brad on this, usually when you see aftermarket stuff its is a red flag. Tranny rebuild with less than 200K???

7. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd have to agree with others, with that many steering and front end parts replaced and the transmission and transfer case rebuilt I have to think it had been offroaded pretty hard. You see alot of trucks with oversize aftermarket tires, but not all of them have had to replace those parts. Having offroaded an older truck pretty hard before I can tell you those parts are usually the first to wear (ball joints, tie rods, pitman arms, transfer case) and the mileage sounds about right for those thing to start showing wear and needing replaced. I am not familiar with the front ends completely on newer truck but I would think CV joints, front differentials and such will go next.

The transfer case is still what gets me, usually those are bomb proof unless you are doing that severe articulating rock climbing stuff. I never had one go (the truck I rode hard was my first, an '83 F250 4wd and I got my license in '96) or on my second truck ('84 F150). My buddies never had to rebuild them either and they gave em all sorts of torture. Part of me believes the Borg Warners in the older trucks were built stronger, part of me believes that newer trucks have just as strong components.

Your call but I think it has been rode hard a few to many times.

8. Get Some...

Get Some... LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Buy a truck from someone who is old.........generally well taken care of and not beat on.

9. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

I completely disagree with everybody on here. Front ends need replacing. Sounds like the guy was taking good care of it and replacing everything that needed replacing on a high mileage vehicle. Personally i would not buy something with high mileage but to say he drove the truck hard because he had to replace parts doesnt make sense.

10. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

If that truck was closer, I'd at least look at it and maybe pick it up myself.

The guy took the time to write out everything that's been replaced...not just "truck runs good with new parts"

It's definitely worth a look at and take it to your mechanic to check it out.