Looking to buy Timecutter Z

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by amrupp, Feb 4, 2002.

1. amrupp

amrupp LawnSite Member
    from buffalo

I'm a new Lawnsite member looking to buy a ZRT. I have approximately one acre with few obstacles. After reading all the previous comments, I think I'll buy a Timecutter Z with a 52" deck. I can buy one for around $4000 from a Canadian dealer (after currency exchange rate is applied), which is several thousand dollars less than new Exmark or Toro commercial.

I have heard nothing buy positive feedback about the Timecutter. Does anyone have first hand feedback on the performance of these units or any concerns about them? I would appreciate any replies.

2. tlcservices

tlcservices LawnSite Member
    from fl

The dealer i talked to in Fl. said it was a light duty older commercial unit.Perfect for what your going to do with it.

3. mowsho

mowsho LawnSite Member

We are a dealer for the toro time cutter z

It is a machine designed for the home owner, it was designed to cut 1 to 3 acres and nothing above that.

we have sold several to HOMEOWNERS and the feedback has been very positive.

1 complaint and only 1 light or dry grass blows out from under the deck and coats the user. But they have a anti blow out baffle kit that solved the problem.

If you wait until spring the new price on the 44 inch 16.5 hp is gonna be $3999.99, 17 hp kohler 44" 4579.00 17 hp kohler
    50" 4749.00

They should do a nice job for your lawn

4. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

What are the differences between the time cutter and the commercial z? Can a time cutter stand up to 20 hours use per week?

5. mowsho

mowsho LawnSite Member

Almost everything is different.

It would be like pulling a 35 ft trailer with an S-10,
    IT WOULD MOVE IT BUT FOR HOW LONG.

The transmissions are for homeowner use, the deck is pretty tuff but not made to cut 20 hrs a week.

Most homeowners averave 1 to 2 hrs per week. Lets say 30
    weeks a year, or 30 to 60 hours per year.
    Toro says if you use commercially 90 day warranty is all you get

If you use 20 hours per week, thats 600 hours per year.
    Or 10 to 20 years of homeowner use.

Don't even think about it

6. amrupp

amrupp LawnSite Member
    from buffalo

DWD - I really appreciate your input. I know I won't be putting anywhere near 20 hours a week on the mower - probably somewhere around 40 - 50 for the entire season. I'm stuck on whether or not the unit will still be operational 10 years from now, assuming I do normal maintenance like oil changes and cleaning. I know you're a Toro dealer, but I'm also considering an Ariens zero turn - I believe it's a 20 hp, 48"cut. What do you know about that? Any disadvantages to consider?

Also, several of these homeowner units come with choice of engines - Briggs Intek, Kohler, Kohler Vanguard, Kaw. I know Kaw is favored by the commercial guys, but is it overkill for us homeowners? Can we expect long life out of the Briggs? And one more thing - is any one of these engines significantly quieter than the others?

Sorry to include so many questions in a single post. I'll try to be more brief next time!

7. mowsho

mowsho LawnSite Member

About Ariens, Dealer support has been a real problem. ( and I don't see it getting much better)

Ariens tried to dump some of there ztr's at Home Depot a few years ago because the dealers were not selling them. It made many dealers rethink selling that line.

As far as quality, not a bad machine but i would say lower down the scale then the Toro, or the Simplicity ztr.

Probably wont find many homeowner machines with Kawasaki engines or the Briggs Vanguard. Both very very good engines but alot more money. That leaves Kohler command and Intek,
    of the 2 kohler will give a longer life because it is designed to last longer. Briggs and stratton has the market on the lower priced engines because they have gone after it so hard. Years ago B/S
    said we build engines that will last as long as the mower will last,
    usually 5-7 years take that times 60 hours and you have an engine that was designed to last 300 to 500 hours.

For the muffler question you can't hear the motor when the blades are on anyway. But look for the manufacture that uses there own muffler, not the one supplied by the engine company.
    This normally means the research team was not happy with the
    sound of the muffler and used one that was queiter.

Are you sure you want a ztr type mower?
    Some have limited options such as dozer blades, towing.
    Demo one to make sure first.

see ya
    Dan

8. Shawn Burns

Shawn Burns LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

I thought the timecutter z was to use the old style 44" w/b deck?
    Also, hustler has just come out with a "homeowner" ztr. Might want to look at it.

9. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You need to look at the Hustler FasTrak.
    This unit is built like a tank.
    16, 18, 20 Honda or Briggs 17.5 engine choices.
    Your deck options are 44" and 52"
    The Honda engines are top notch.
    A dealer and myself are working a show at the NYS fairgrounds this weekend it started Thursday, the homeowners are putting money down on these units at the show, in anticipation of delivery in the next few days.
    Look at the differences in the unit, starting with the deck, the Toro deck is a stamped deck, the FasTrak deck is fabricated and welded, it will hold up to many years of use and abuse.
    The FasTrak frame is heavier.
    The FasTrak holds more fuel, 12.2 gallons to be exact.
    The FasTrak has a foot operated deck lift, not a hard to pull hand lift.
    The FasTrak has a Honda engine, much better than any other engine choice on the market.
    You need to check one out in person.
    I am going to be in your area next week some time, I will have one with me and would love to bring it to you and show you why it is a better unit.
    Check out the FasTrak on our website www.excelhustler.com
    Also, do a search on this website about Hustler, and you will see we take care of our customers.
    E-mail me if you like if you have any questions
    hustler@twcny.rr.com

Later
    Pj

10. amrupp

amrupp LawnSite Member
    from buffalo

PJ -

WOW. I checked out the Hustler website and the FasTrak machines look awesome. They seem to be much more solid than the Timecutter. I called a local Hustler dealer and he didn't know much about the machine - he couldn't give me pricing or anything. How long have they been out?

Are you doing any Buffalo shows after you leave Syracuse?