Looking to dump my Exmark to buy Hustler

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by CutApproved, Nov 23, 2005.

1. CutApproved

CutApproved LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I've had my Ex for about 2 years, I'm really small 8-10 lawns but personally I always like the way Hustler was built but got a great deal on my Ex-52" w/ the double bagger.
    The cut is just ok

If I bought a Hustler and wanted the same setup (52" vac system/ Honda or Kaw)
    What should I look at and what are the prices. I've copied prices from another post below... Which one?

FasTrak, 20HP Kohler / 52" FST20KOH52A (927459) $5,299
    FasTrak, 20HP Honda / 52" FST20HON52A (926501) $5,899
    Hustler Mini Z, 23HP Kawasaki / 52", STD seat. HMZ23KAW52STA (927244) $8,499
    Hustler Mini Z, 20HP Kohler / 52", STD seat. HMZ20KOH52STA (927491) $7,899
    Hustler Mini Z, 24HP Honda / 52", STD seat. HMZ24HON52STA (927251) $8,599

I don't like small engines so on a 52" I would definately want at least a 20hp
  2. CutApproved

from NJ

I have a Ex... 52' / 23Kaw with a bagging unit. I just don't like the cut.
    If I wanted the same setup what mower should I buy from Hustler?

Nothing smaller nothing bigger,, I like this size cut.
  3. Willie03

Willie03 LawnSite Member
    from NY

Get the mini z 52 inch 23hp kaw with bac vac. I just got one at the end of the season and love it. It's stipes my Midnight II KBG with out a stripe kit and standard blades. The bac vac works great.

I no longer do commercial landscape, I'm using the machine on my personal property 22k sq ft, manicured. We used mostly SCAG and Hustler equipment when I was doing commercial landscape. We loved the mini z and super mini z. Both machines give an excellent cut, and very manuverable, extremley well built and easy to work on. Hats of to Hustler.
  4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Your Exmark should give a great cut. If it doesn't then there's something wrong. Is you deck level and set of the proper pitch? Do o you have lots of grass buildup under the deck? Do you have sharp blades? Is the air pressure in your tires correct? Any one or a combination of these things would cause a drop in cut quality.
  5. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

Those price are MSRP...

The double bagger for the MiniZ is about $799.00- $899.00 (depending on dealer)

As a dealer and former LCO I would go with the 24Honda / 52" MiniZ. We've sold alot of these units and that Honda engine has been extremely reliable. If you're a Kawasaki guy the 23 HP Kaw / 52" is proven also.

Want a real treat? Buy the SuperMiniZ with a 25 Kawasaki or 24 Honda! WOW!
  6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I merged your threads together.
    I would not be looking at the FasTrak's in your case.
    The advise given in this thread is pretty much straight on.
    Go with a Mini Z or Super Mini Z with a 2 bag rear catcher.
    Here is a link to the information on the catcher, it is shown in the pictures on the FasTrak, but it is the same identical catcher that goes on the Mini Z and Super Mini Z.
    http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com/pdf/Specs-FT-MZ Catcher.pdf

7. CutApproved

from NJ

Travis - the exmark cuts ok, its not bad or uneven or anything but if this makes any sense, the stripes are not dark enough. I've been cutting the same lawns for 3 years and since I got the exmark I had complaints even when it had 20hrs on it. Again its not a bad cut but the lines/stripes are not dark enough.. If I cut the same lawn with my walkbehind the lawn looks better.. Maybe the walkbehind is a better cut because of the lower speed ??

Gautreaux's LNG,, thanks for the info and advice,, would love the honda.

What are the differences between the mini Z and Super mini Z?
    And does Hustler only offer the double bagger or can I get the dump catcher.
    You know you pull the handle and the grass is dumped. Does Huster make this?
    I'll be going on the website soon to be sure.. thanks for all your input.
  8. CincyWolf

CincyWolf LawnSite Member

There are lots of good reasons to buy a Hustler ZTR but I have never heard an eXmark owner state the reason was for cut quality. Surely something is wrong with your deck setup or maintenance because that eXmark deck should be doing a great job for you.
  9. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Differences =
    Larger hydro pumps and wheel motors, hydro coolers with fan, higher ground / cutting speed's and the suspension seat is standard equipment.
    The higher ground / cutting speed = more production for you, which = more money in your pocket.
    We offer the double bagger and also the Bac-Vac, it is a dump from the seat self contained system, and we produce it, it is not made by a aftermarket company, in fact we have been using it on different model mowers for about 10 years now.
  10. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

do you have a striping roller on the exmark? if not, try that before you dump a lot of money into a new mower.

the other thingto check, is your deck pitch. if it is wrong, it will not stripe the same. mine will not stripe at all if it is level, but it will stripe lightly with a 1/4" forward pitch. my grasses are warm season, so striping isn't a big thing for me.

even if you do have a striping roller, why not put an extra chain kit, or another striping roller behind it.

what I am trying to say, is that it is a pity to sell a mower that you like in all other respects, just because it doesn't stripe well enough.

the hustler is a great machine, but that is a big hit you are going to be taking, especially for only 10 lawns. it won't make the money back for you fast enough to justify the payments.