Looking to get a great, if not, the best for the $ Hedge trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RonWin, Jul 23, 2012.

1. RonWin

RonWin LawnSite Senior Member

Need a great commericial grade hedge trimmer that is going to last me a while and get great cuts out of. Im thinking out loud here but maybe something with atleast 25+ inch? light weight a possibility for long use? I dont know much about the pole hedge trimmers or what i would need for that but if i went pole id go for an echo so that i could be able to swap in the brd280 head? Would like some input to what you guys rely on, thanks!

2. chagh2.0

chagh2.0 LawnSite Member

we use the echos hc-235 and the stihl hl 100 pole we have privet everywhere around here both have never let me down

3. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

guess if extended you want echo , plus maybe want to spend less than this . but ive got the 3 year old version of this one at link , last year they made them with rubber handles , and it is awesome . i got the unmovable blade over the blade that switches angles because didnt want the extra moving and more fragile parts on it . link : http://www.redmax.com/products/hedge-trimmers/srtz2460f/ ps - i dont even use a regular short trimmer now , these extended reaches just about make them obsolete .

4. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I have the Echo PAS265. I also have the extension, the articulating hedger. I can easily trim 10ft tall hedges without a ladder. I also have the Echo 165 double sided hedger for smaller jobs (much lighter then the combo with extension) and I have even a smaller set that are cordless for shaping spiral cut shrub type trees.

5. I had a still hs 45 and hs80. I sold them because they always gave me problems. Got a commercial redmax and like it much better

6. v6rs97

v6rs97 LawnSite Member

No love for the 30" little wonders?

7. mx315

mx315 LawnSite Senior Member

I was in Naples last week and saw a guy using a Shindaiwa hedger with a deflector on top. I looked it up this morning to find out what it was called. It made cleanup a lot faster, as he cut the top of the hedges the deflector gathered all the clippings and he dumped them in a pile. Never used a Shindaiwa, but that attachment was pretty cool. Going to try to find one to fit my Stihl hedgers.
    http://www.shindaiwa-usa.com/Products/Accessories/Hedge-Trimmers.aspx

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

everything sthil gives me trouble

9. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Kawasaki 30" single sided is a good trimmer and a good price.

10. chagh2.0

chagh2.0 LawnSite Member

I have to use these at some of my higher end homes dam picky people. but they do work great but My honda gen is getting old