looking to get in to landscaping

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by RSK2, Jan 16, 2006.

1. RSK2

RSK2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Hi guys
    i am looking to get in to landscaping. I do some now but i am trying to get out of lawn care mowing go in to full time landscaping. can any one help me out on this how do you guy's get in to new homes they are putting up about 1000 new homes i would like to try to get in the door for the landscaping any info on this thanks payup

2. rscritch

rscritch LawnSite Member

to be honest, if i were you id keep your mowing contracts, hire a mowing crew and look to expand into landscapeing in addition to the lawn care, by haveing that base of lawn care people you can start to grow the landscape side of the company while still keeping all of your mowing contacts. if you quite mowing and try landscapeing only, some one will pick up your mowing and chances are they will do landscaping and when your old customers are in need they will use their new mower. as to how to get some enw construction jobs, write all the builders letters introducing your services and then follow with with either a phone call and try to set up a meeting out on a job site. good luck iwth your future ventures

3. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

rscritch Good advice! I agree he should keep his mowing going not only to keep monies coming in but to solicate thru existing customer base for landscaping jobs. Once you get some jobs done let everyone know who did it by putting up a sign. Some flyers and maybe catching some builders at job sites might also help.

4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

I would agree with the above. Having your lawn crew out there, everyday and being seen will be a benefit to your business.

If you want to get into landscaping and do it professionally and profitably, get an education. Everyone thinks they can dig a hole and put a plant in, but it is those with an education that do it better and make more money than most. In Pennsylvania,there are plenty of programs directed at landscapers and their employees. Most are taught during the winter and are short courses. If you wish to set yourself apart from the rest, learn as much as you can and when in doubt, sub it out. A good landscape starts with an even better design. If that is not your expertise, hire out that portion of the job. A good designer can help you with the client, the plantings, plants and most other aspects of a landscape installation.

Kirk

5. TerraVenture

TerraVenture LawnSite Member

I am of the opposite opinion. I am doing away with lawn care this season (my fourth). In the four years I have been in business I have only got one landscaping job from a mowing customer. I also have had very little luck getting mowing customers I have no idea what my problem is. I have tried the newspaper, my name all over my trailer, and the phone book and I only had five lawn customers. Anyhow I looked at my figures and the mowing brought in 5% of my gross but took about 20% of my time. My advantage over most landscapers around my area is do carpentry building decks and other exterior structures. I haven't had much problem getting carpentry jobs that far exceed what I made last year mowing lawns. I think if you want to pursue landscape construction instead of maintenance you would have less headaches. You would not have to worry about rain, running a crew, less overhead. I am not in my vehicle driving around between lawn accounts, I start and end the day at the same job each day. This not say pursuing maintenance and construction can not be profitable, it can, there are many company's doing just that. You must do what makes you happyand hopefully more profitable.

6. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Terra
    Sounds like u found your niche in the market and that u enjoy that most. Especially more profit. If your area is anything like here or maybe rest of country lawncare, maintenance have more people doing that than anything else. I guess cuz its easy to get into with little or no education. Its very competitive here. As for above any education is always good and if u can do that in off time so much the better. In the mean time keep the profits comin in on your existing business, if you still enjoy it, and start the landscaping slowly oberving what others are doing and making sure its done right. This will bring new business in. Dreams, u are right it all starts with a good design and one not just like the neighbors. Hire or get a designer to get you going.

7. rscritch

rscritch LawnSite Member

thats some of the best advice you can get. if your happy with what your doing it shows and your customers notice that. and your works shows it too. good luck

8. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

well if you wanna landscape be creative an learn all you can .. its an art an the more creative your designs the better you will do . when i started in business for myself 12 years ago i seen alot of guys planting alot of different varieties of shrubs but no real design incorporated into the project . i prefer distinct edges very sharp an crisp lots of color an shrub flow throughout the project. i always use the best products an always shop for the best planting materials . believe me the guys at the nurseries hate me because i am so picky buts that ok its my name on the line not theres. in business remember its better to set the standards then to play follow the leader .