Looking to get some help with trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by McGaw, Apr 27, 2013.

1. McGaw

McGaw LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Hey guys,

I've been reading posts for awhile now and I have a 2000 F150 5.4 Triton V8 ext. cab 4x4. I believe it can pull somewhere in the range of 7800lbs.
    I am looking to get an open trailer, a 5x10, possibly a 6x12. Should I go for a tandem with the 5x10 and should I get brakes?
    Heaviest thing I think it will haul is gravel or river rock once in awhile. It will mostly be used for transporting push mower and hand equipment, mulch, a little bit of wood and tree debris, as well as other things like brush clippings. In the winter I would like to use it for hauling a couple of the snowblowers, still not decided about using the trailer, or getting ramps for the truck.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Go with the 6x12. It is way easy to run out of room on a trailer. I'd get trailer brakes, that is a preference. One you get into the 14 to 16 foot range or haul heavier load then go with a tandem axle trailer.

3. McGaw

McGaw LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

So stick with the single axle then?

4. LindblomRJ

Up to 12 foot I would. Otherwise, run up to a bigger trailer.

5. jackal

jackal LawnSite Senior Member

Gravel and wood are both heavy. 16 ft with tandem 3500 lb axels will haul a cord but thats about it.

6. McGaw

McGaw LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

At what size do you guys add brakes?

7. LindblomRJ

I'd go with brakes with a 12 or 14 foot.

8. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 16' tandem and I pull it with a 1500 silverado 5.3L. And I don't use the brakes

9. jackal

jackal LawnSite Senior Member

Trailer brakes will save alot of wear on your trucks brakes.

Different states have different requirements for brakes on trailers. Op should check Canada regs for brake requirements before purchase.

Max loads are hard to stop in an emergency without trailer brakes on at least one axel.

10. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

I would get a tandem axle. Get one with brakes #1 for safety reasons, and #2 because it will wear the breaks on your truck fast if you tow heavy loads. I tow a tandem axle 16ft with a Nissan Titan and it eats brakes. Gross weight for my 16ft is about 5100lbs. 3000lb load and trailer weight of roughly 2100lbs.

I only have experience with tandems but some on here who have used both say tandems tow better than single axles.