1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to get some help with trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by McGaw, Apr 27, 2013.

1. jackal

jackal LawnSite Senior Member

That is a heavy trailer. I have a heavy duty 16 x 8.5 Tandem with 3500 lb axel and surge brakes weighs 1600 lbs.

Tandems pull better but you will sacrifice the back tires.

2. McGaw

McGaw LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

It's only going to be a few times a year I'll be towing heavy loads, for the most part it will just be used for mowers and brush clippings.
    I've found this for sale, what do you guys think? I'd want to remove the storage boxes so it gives more room over the axle. I would probably move them to the front of the trailer and use them for tarps.
    http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...ers-6-x-12-Utility-trailer-W0QQAdIdZ478981918

3. goel

goel LawnSite Member

As soon as you go 2x3500 lbs axles in Ontario they only build them with trailer brakes.

As soon as your truck and trailer and load combined weight are over 10k lbs you need a yellow safety sticker on both truck and trailer, which also means a yearly safety to get it and trailer brakes.

Lots of landscrapers run single axle trailers to avoid the above.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. McGaw

McGaw LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

I would also need to get an A license I believe

That's why I'm leaning a little more towards the single axle. I think it will work well for my needs of it.

5. goel

goel LawnSite Member

Um, you do not need an A or even a AR for a pick up and 2 axle trailer.

"G" is good for : Any car, van or small truck or combination of vehicle and towed vehicle up to 11,000 kg provided the towed vehicle is not over 4,600 kg

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/classes.shtml

6. McGaw

McGaw LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

I misread your other post, thought you wrote load weight over 10,000lbs. That's why I said I would have to get an A

7. goel

goel LawnSite Member

My post it lbs, government licenses is in kgs

8. McGaw

McGaw LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Yeah, not an issue since my truck will not pull it. Nor would I ever have a load that large (that I know of)