looking to get started roof cleaning

Discussion in 'Power Washing' started by greensense, Feb 20, 2012.

1. greensense

greensense LawnSite Member

Hey everybody,

So just a little background; I've owned a lawn care business in NY for the past four years with a partner. I went to Montana to do some work last year for a contracted job doing trail work with the Forest Service for the year. On that little adventure; I happened to meet my current girlfriend. So, long story short; we're moving south so she can get a job with the park service. I'll be moving around March 10th; and won't be able to get started working until late March/early April by the time I get all the licenses and insurance straightened out; which will be a little behind the curve for the year. That said, I've been looking to boost my offerings of one-time services to try to make-do for the year, considering I'll be a little too late to book lawn services for the year. I was hoping to get there earlier, but it just hasn't worked out.

The area I'm moving looks like it could really benefit from some roof cleaning (Google Earth works wonders :dancing:). I've been looking into the systems offered by Pressure Tek and such; but my major question is, what kind of (if any) safety restraint system do you use for those moderately steep roofs? Obviously the very steep roofs would be grounds for a lift. I've done a little roof cleaning for clients that requested it but I'd be looking to make a much bigger go of it with some targeted advertising. I've read mixed reviews about the Pitch Witch and I can see how that'd be limited to its application, so I've just been trying to find some info on temporary fall arrest systems, without much success thus far. Any help or input would be appreciated!

I've done a couple summers of roofing in the past, so being on a roof doesn't bother me and I think it'd be a great way to support the business through the first year; plus there doesn't appear to be too much competition on the local market (2 major companies).

Thanks!

2. lkendall

lkendall LawnSite Member

Where are you moving to?

3. greensense

greensense LawnSite Member

Knoxville, TN area; she's moving through the process for jobs with the Great Smoky National Park.

4. lkendall

lkendall LawnSite Member

5. Pressure Washing Cleve

Pressure Washing Cleve LawnSite Member

You should be able to clean them from the gutter line.

6. JCinNJ

JCinNJ LawnSite Member

Stick with pressure tek

Ditch the pitch witch idea

Check out the NJ roof washing videos on my web site, for most jobs you will not need to get on the roof.

7. Houston Tx Roof Cleaning

Houston Tx Roof Cleaning LawnSite Member
    from Katy Tx

+1 Ditch the Pitch Witch - that's for rookies that do not know better. Talk to Bob.

8. A to Z Roof Cleaning

A to Z Roof Cleaning LawnSite Member