looking to get started..

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SouthernComfort, Aug 7, 2006.

1. SouthernComfort

SouthernComfort LawnSite Member

hello everyone, I'm new to all of this.. currently I am a system admin for a data center here in miami florida.

my friend builds pools, he also destroys lawns. this got me thinking, why don't i open up a landscaping company and take advantage of his already successful business.

i thought i would start with planting palms/shrubs, laying out sod, and other wise designing the garden the customers want to accompany their new pool.. from there i could go ahead and build clientele outside of the pool market.. I was even thinking about hitting the local community college for some lawn architecture classes...

like i said i come from the IT/Computer industry and really have no clue where to even start... i'd like to get this going 'yesterday'.. ;)

any advice is GREATLY appreciated!

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Why do you -- "want to get going yesterday"-- The BIG MONEY--

Do you have any knowledge of what is needed to produce a great landscape plan or to keep a living thing alive.
    It sounds like an education in landscape may help a lot.
    Just a thought
    Nor trying to be negitive, just truthful- there is a lot to this business. There is a LOT to learn.

3. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

This is a major problem in this industry IMO. Get as much info as posiable on this, ITS NOT EASY MONEY, its the exact oppisite. It takes years to make any profitable $$$. Yes school is good but until you get that shovel in your hand and start diging, thats when the REAL LEARNING STARTS. My best advice make sure this is what you want to do, cause you really have to love it to make it.