Looking to go Legit

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by LTDLawnCare, Feb 6, 2007.

1. LTDLawnCare

LTDLawnCare LawnSite Member

This season will be my second season running my own LCO. Last season I was doing it part time just for chump change. This year i am going to go full-time. I was wondering what steps i need to take in order to be a "legit" company (pay taxes ect.) Thanks for all your help

Ryan

2. LTDLawnCare

I know there is a lot of talk on this site about lowballers and guys who aren't an actual business. I dont want to be that guy anymore. Any advice you guys could give would be great. Thanks

3. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

LTD, I would like to give you a little advise from someone who started the way that you did. When I started out 5 years ago, I did this part time and still had my full time job. I slowly built up a customer base my first two years. The third year I cut my hours down on my full time job to part time and put more hours into the business and built up more clients. The fourth year I went full time with the business and quit my full time job. Let me tell you this, each and every year there where adjustments to be made and money was tight at times. I wanted so much to just walk out of my job the first year I started my business and go full on, but I will tell you, I doubt I would have made it. I had a friend of mine who called me about 8 years back and says "I am quiting my job as a correction officer and I'm gonna be a landscaper". I said, well I hope ya know what you are doing. After 4 years he lost everything house, car, truck and filed bankruptcy. Watching him taught me alot and I just thought I would share this with you. If you think you can really make a go at it full time right from jump then "God Bless". I am willing to answer any question you may have.

4. LTDLawnCare

I am 19 yrs old. I went to college for one semester. My dream is not to be a landscaper by proffession. My dream is to be a FireFighter. Last month i decided that the college i was attending wasn't going to help me out getting a job on a fire department. I decided to drop out and will be attending community college next fall to get my associates degree. I have been gearing up for spring since i made the decision. I will be considered a full-time student in the fall but i will only be going a couple days a week. I dont have many responsibilities ( No kids, No House, No Wife) so i wanted to commit to this thing now so that one day i will be able to carry out the two jobs and wont be starving when i am 30.

5. JohnsonLawn

I'll tell ya this your schedule as a firefighter will work out great for doing this on the side. Build up a client base now and you have the jump on it later. if you really want to be legit there is alot to do. Figure out what services you want to offer, name your business, register your business, get a business checking account, liablity insurance, logos and lettering of trucks and trailers, equipment purchases, advertising, accounting software, etc, etc. I am not trying to discourage you, just being honest. It is very possible to do.

6. LTDLawnCare

I have a small customer base. If you are from wareham you have probably heard of a few of my commercial accounts. I have a business name LTD ( Living The Dream) Lawn Care, Haven't made a checking account yet. Have a logo and i am working on a getting a new truck and trailer. At the moment i am working on purchasing a small LCO in Carver involving two more mowers on top of my 52" scag WB. I also have a bunch of postcards i made up ready to go out.I guess I am asking help on how to register the business, get liability insurance and tax information. Thanks- Ryan

7. JohnsonLawn

You register your business at the town hall. Tell them you are starting a landscaping business and need a business license, I believe it is like $40.00 for 5 years. Get your business checking at your bank, tell them you want to open an account as a dba (doing business as). They will probably want a copy of your business license, so do that first. Go to your insurance agent that you have your car with and tell them you are starting a business and need a liability policy. They can give you advise as to how much you should carry depending on what work you will be doing. I can give you the name of a good tax lady over here in Wareham if you would like, she is very knowledgeable and can handle everything for you, even payroll should you get that big some day. Another thing, try advertising in some of the local papers like the action unlimited, etc. They are reasonable and I get great responses from them. I did the yellow pages for 2 years and it sucked. I was spending $254.00 per month and got more calls from my newspaper ads.

8. LTDLawnCare

Thanks a lot for all of your advice.. I will start first thing in the morning

9. JohnsonLawn

No problem, let me know if you need anything and I will try to help. Good luck and keep me posted