Looking To Install A Sprinkler System

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by cturner, Mar 19, 2003.

1. cturner

cturner LawnSite Member

ONE OF MY CUSTOMERS WAS TELLING ME THEY WOULD LIKE A SPRINKLER SYSTEM PUT IN AND ASKED ME IF I COULD DO IT , WELL I WAS WONDERING HOW HARD IT IS TO PUT ONE OF THESE IN I'M INTERESTED IN LEARNING IT BUT NOT SURE WHAT I NEED TO DO IT AND HOW HARD THEY R TO INSTALL

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED THANK YOU

2. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

The best way to do it is to sub it out to a contractor and ask if you watch and learn. You will not learn everything on that first job, but you will catch most of the basics. It's really not hard to do if you know what you are doing.

3. cturner

cturner LawnSite Member

IS IT TO MUCH TO TRY TO DO IT ON MY OWN

4. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone that can glue pipe can put a sprinkler system in - but I would recommend against it. There's a lot more to it than putting some pipe in the ground and hooking up some heads if you want it to be right. You need to be concerned about proper coverage, what type of heads based on water pressure, how many zones based on water flow, what size pipe to best use the available water pressure and flow, backflow devices, etc., etc. I would advise taking some classes, such as Landscape Irrigation Design from the Irrigation Association, in addition to watching/helping on a few installs first. I never knew there was so much to installing a system until I took the class.

Randy

5. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

Ditto to Randys comments. Dsigning and properly installing a system is not as easy as it looks.

I have probably seen 100 or systems that have been installed by a first timer or Do it yourself homeowner and I have only seen 1 that was somewhat close to correct.

Most are just terrible and it's really sad to see these people go through all the hard work and end up with something that does not even resemble a prpper irrigation system.

-The Stories I could tell.......

6. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

one of my install crews and my lm-40...

pulling pipe.jpg