Looking to learn

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Diesel-1984, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Diesel-1984

Diesel-1984 LawnSite Member

I would like to learn how to hardscape patio's, retaining walls, steps, etc... I live in Mount Holly, NJ. Any businesses in NJ, near Mount Holly, looking for a hardworking dependable guy to work, reply on this thread. I'm 18 and in college, have my own business, I know rugters offers a course but I know it wont compare to working in the field with a established company for a few months or year (depends on how many jobs I work on for experience). Just send me a message, I am very egard to work and am a hard worker.

2. AceFinish

AceFinish LawnSite Member

Actually taking that class is a good idea because it gives you a really good look at the technical aspects of doing hardscapes. You are right though experince is the best teacher but don't count out the class we go to hardscape classes every year and trust each time we have walked away learning something that we did not know. Try going to the landscape conventions in your area that is where we like to go to learn more.

3. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

The Rutgers class is ok, but not any where near as informative as the ICPI classes offered at MAHTS or throughout the season by manufacturers. A good plan would be to attend the Mid Atlantic Hardscaping Trade Show in Atlantic City in February. There you can get education, exposure to many tools used for hardscaping, EP henry pavers, only, but other suppliers to the industry. You will also have the opportunity to meet, great and network with many of the premier hardscape installers in the area.

http://mahts.com/

Techo-Bloc will also be holding their product showcase in the area in February. Here you will have the opportunity to learn about one of the premier products in the industry and again get a chance to network with local installers.

http://techo-bloc.com/contractors/index.php?p=Events&e=viewEvent&eventId=32

Kirk

4. Diesel-1984

Thank you for both of your inputs, its great advice that I plan to take, I just home with my college classes I can fit in that trade show. I have pre-cal during my spring semester and am going to have to put everything I have into that class to get a C or B, i need it to do landscape architector (have to have a C for it to tranfer to Rutgers), and need the best grade possible to keep up my GPA and keep my scholarship.

5. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

what school are u at now? are u going to transfer into cooks college(rutgers) to do land arch?

6. Paver Gangster

Paver Gangster LawnSite Member

Also John Deere Landscapes is sponsoring an ICPI class in Atlantic City in mid January:

https://johndeerelandscapes.com/partnersprogram/jdlu/seminars/

You should also consider getting NCMA retaining wall certified, that wont be offered there, but I believe there are going to be 2-hour introductory retaining wall classes held at that event, I'd try and make it if you are still learning because it would be a good prep for the NCMA class

There's also other classes being held there on lighting, irrigation etc etc so if you cant do the ICPI deal there are other training opportunties there if you are a new guy looking to get in, I think JDLU is a good event for all types of landscapers

7. Diesel-1984

I'm currently at Burlington County College, and then I will be transfering to both cooks and the pre-law school. Cooks is up in north jersey, so I'm sure how transportation is going to work out, it's going to be a hassel that is going to make getting my degree less enjoyable. As for pre-law the camden campus is building a brand new one, which is where I would like to go because it is so much closer to me, I'd still use the riverline though to get there cuz theres a connection right near me in burlington township, so I'd save major $$$$ on gas, by buying a yearly pass for riverline. I might try to do distance learning if my business gets a lot bigger, or look into having a crew leader run the field stuff from day to day I i'll just check in on properties and run it during the summer and winter. I dont know how its all going to play out but I'm not gonna stress about it now, I'll figure it out as a grow.