Looking to pick up a 42" Sport - Have some ???

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by JF660R, May 9, 2011.

1. JF660R

JF660R LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW MO

So I mow 1.5-2ac once a week during the mow season in SW MO. Looking to upgrade to a ZTR mower and have pretty much talked myself out of the "residential" ztrs from Cub/toro etc. And into a heavier unit like the Hustler Sport 42".

Looking for advice on the best engine option Honda/Kawi/Briggs. I am a Honda fan and am leaning that way. As stated this is just for residential use but I am hoping this investment will result in ALOT of years of service.

I can't find a '10 Model with the Honda anywhere and full tilt on a '11 Honda unit is $3399 around here. I have managed to find a '10 Briggs 17.5 unit from a dealer for $2600 ... would the '11 Honda model be worth an aditional $800?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Honda and Kawi units are worth the extra $$$

3. Sport42

Sport42 LawnSite Member

Not worth the extra, IMO. I have the B&S (55 hrs.) and am very satisfied.

4. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

The twins run 100% better, you can really feel a difference... I would recommend a twin over a single cylinder all day long. I like kawasaki alot better than Honda in Turf applications... prolly why its hard for you to find a honda

5. JF660R

from SW MO

Well, I never made this happen. Now it's mow time again and I am back to hating my '89 Murray POS ... for a residential user is there really any reason to step up to the Fastrak? I feel like the Sport is plenty superior to my previos mowers ... I guess the Sport doesn't have the lifetime frame and deck warranty?

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Correct, no lifetime warranties on the Sport.
    The warranty on the Sport is 2 years parts and labor and a 3rd year parts only.

Pj

7. JF660R

from SW MO

Well today I put a Hustler in the shop where the '89 Murray used to sit :drinkup:

I got what I think is a good deal on a new 2011 model Sport 48" w/ 20hp Kawi. It sure was hard to turn loose of that money but I am excited to see how much time it cuts off my mow.

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Awesome!
    Welcome to the Hustler Family!

Pj

9. Rock777

Rock777 LawnSite Member

Anxious to hear how you like it. Would you mind saying what a "good deal" is? I am looking into getting the exact same mower and wasn't sure if many dealers budged off the $3899 MSRP. Have narrowed it down to the Hustler and one other mower and getting close to picking one up.

10. cop4hire

cop4hire LawnSite Member
    from Roy, WA

:cool2: I had my Sport 42" delivered today. Used it right off the truck.
    I paid $3599. plus tax. It was on sale. Going to take me a couple of mows to get comfortable with it. Mowing is no longer a chore. It's like having your own carnival ride. (Don't tell my wife).:drinkup: