Looking to purchase a new Scag SWZ 36 Hydro walk behind. But need a little help first

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawn411, Jan 27, 2008.

1. lawn411

lawn411 LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

Im looking to buy a new scag swz 36" hydro walk behind. My dealer has on 07 model on the floor from last year and is asking $4999.99. He says the 07s are the exact same as the 08s. And informed me if i wanted an 08 he could sell it to me for $5399.99. this is my first time buying anything more then a 21 inch walk behind from a dealer so i was looking to get a little guidance as to whether i should settle for the 07 or get the 08. also what are your dealers asking for a new swz 36 hydro? and what should i offer my dealer for the mower? i appreciate any help.

2. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here, For $6,000.00 you can get a Scag Tiger cub 26/48". I would go that route before I bought a $5,000.00 WB. Just my opinion.

3. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag has 3 different models. The first is the swzu "ultimate" which has a floating deck. Second is the new Pro-V walk that also has a floating deck with alot of new features.You should ask your dealer if he has heard anything about this one. Third is the "fixed" deck which I have owned and used. I beleive in this area you can find 07 36 "fixed" deck for around $4300-$4900 depending on the dealer. I feel that your dealer should work with you on an 07 model. Like everything else they depreciate also. These mower are bulletproof and the pistol grips have become very easy to use. I am still throwing around the idea of a new 17 kaw 48 "fixed for this spring to go with my new Tiger. You have chosen the best mower now its time to go get it! :weightlifter: Good luck!

4. lawn411

lawn411 LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

Thanks for your input steven. i would love to have a ztr but the majority of my lawns are no more the a quarter acre and i am already barely able to get at 36" through the gate.

Mike do you think its worth spending the extra money to get a swzu or pro v model over the fixed deck?

5. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

i know iam not Mike but from another Scag owner yes the swzu is well worth the extra Dollars , since the pro-v is new i know very little about it , Mike you havent got any Orange things bought yet ?

6. Mike Blevins

Not yet Chuck, I am waiting a till first of March. I am hoping that Scag has some good financing otions available then.

7. Mike Blevins

I have demod a ultimate and have owned the "fixed". I would go with Chuck on this one since he has used both machines alot. The pro-v is a new design. Just like everything in this business that is new its going to have to prove itself.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We got a 36' Scag hydro that is 7 years old and heavy use....we like it alot it is a tank. I do like the floating deck bt it isn't unusual for us to change heights a couple times a day. I think you can get the deck up a little higher if you get into a bad overgrowth situation and you need to cut it.

9. jdogg399

jdogg399 LawnSite Member

you got alot of flat lawn or hilly ones I would go belt cheaper cuts just as good. Just don't see the since if you don't have a lot of lawns to spend that much

10. Mike Blevins

Spend the money and get the Hydro mower. You won't regret it. I hate the belt drives. After running a hydro you won't hit a dog in the a#@ with a belt drive.