Looking to Purchase CTL - Advice Needed.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by vvanherk, May 11, 2008.

1. vvanherk

vvanherk LawnSite Member
    from ON

Hello.

I have a small hobby farm and I'm looking for a CTL to do some work around the farm, and possibly weekend contract work.

I will want to do your basic digging, grading, snowblowing, etc. Also, we have 30 acres of bush, and I would like a larger tree chipper attachment for cleaning some things up. I make trails and what not for the horses.

I'm not really biased to any brand. There are a couple of bobcat dealers close enough, a Cat dealer is a little bit further, and there is also an ASV dealer in decent enough proximity.

I will put minimal hours on this thing. I work in the IT industry during the week, so hours will just here and there on the weekend.

Even though I will not be putting on a lot of hours, I want to buy a quality machine that will last, and have good resale. Also, if my current work goes into a slump, then I can pick up some work using this machine, so I want some thing that is flexible, can use most attachments, and will not let me down.

Anywho, any input into this purchase decision would be appreciated.

I live in Ontario Canada.

Regards,
    Vic

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

If I had to do it all over again from the ground up, I'd go with a Takeuchi even if I didn't have a dealer close by, they are the only true purpose built CTL out there (other than ASV) You still can find people with ASV problems, but very few with any major problems associated with the Takeuchi's.

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I guess the first question I would ask is if you really need a CTL. Assuming you really do I would by pass CAT. Their resale is at the bottom, the other issue is the system is effective in some applications but it costs more to run. If most of your work will be for yourself you cant pass those costs on in the work you do. I would then go with a solid suspension machine. TK is a good choice they are physically a big machine beyond the 130 sized machine. You might want high flow for blowing snow and stump grinder. TK does not give you that although it can be provided by others but it is expensive. I would normally not recommend BC but for your light duty application a T250 sized machine might be a good machine.

Another option would be a wheeled machine with VTS. If you buy a used skid and pay full retail for the VTS you could end up in the 35K price range. You would have wheeled and track options, not have to take the heavy depreciation of the tracked machines. I am a CASE fanboy so my recommendations would be the 440 wheeled or 440 CT tracked. It is a great all around platform.

VTS aside I would first be sure you need tracks. After that get a couple to demo, and see what you think. I would try and get a high flow machine for your application, makes for a much more efficient snow blowing machine as well as stump grinding.

4. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

I am A Takeuchi man myself, I love there machines, but I see that you listed snow blowing, The Tak's are worthless in pavement or frozen ground snow removal, I was told this year they might have different tracks that might help, but I don't see that doing much for them. On the other hand they are well built strong machines that are bargain priced compared to the competition. Resale seems better than other brand CTL's but, still not great. In my opinion I would shy away from Bobcat but, others love them.

5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

another for takeuchi

6. vvanherk

vvanherk LawnSite Member
    from ON

Thanks for the input.

I'll look into them, but searching on the net, it does not seem that they have a very big presence here in Canada yet. I would prefer to have some decent support for whatever machine I get...

7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Takeuchi's do not need support.They run forever.LOL

8. vvanherk

vvanherk LawnSite Member
    from ON

My property has a couple of creeks running through it, and lots of overflow in the spring. It can get pretty muddy back there, and that is where I will want to be working sometimes. I think a track system would be preferable.

TK is not much of a presence up here....

I likely require high flow hydraulics. Larger chippers and blowers seem to need it.....

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

What you mean Ron isn't barfing up Cat yellow :laugh:

If this is part time I don't think you wouldn't want to dump the money into a brandnew CTL.

A wheeled machine with over the tire tracks might be better option.

Takeuchi isn't very wide spread in Canada compared to Bobcrap.

I see you are from Ontario or I assume you are. Ritchie Bros auction in Montreal has one Cat CTL I just looked and a bunch of couple year old Wheeled skids with low hour meter readings.

10. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

Takeuchi all the way. 100hp under the hood, sure can move some dirt in a day, logs also!

[​IMG]

It was not easy but the little tak did it. lol

[​IMG]