Looking to Purchase my First Zero-Turn Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasseaters, Mar 19, 2008.

1. grasseaters

grasseaters LawnSite Member

I'm looking at a Toro Titan Z 5200 with a 24 HP B/S engine. It has 52'' 3 blade mowing deck. I'm in the process of bidding on some condo / Apartment complexes in my area so a mower this size would defiently come in handy. The dealer is charging $2500 for the mower is this average price? Any thoughts on this mower good or bad would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mike
  2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Is this a homeowner grade mower?
  3. grasseaters

Not that I know of..... But I'm new at the lawn side of the business so could definetly be mistaken.
  4. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

I'm not aware of the model but I'm pretty sure toro's don't offer briggs engines. Is the mower new?
  5. TheOctagon

TheOctagon LawnSite Senior Member

its listed on toro's site as homeowner grade. I would maybe look into a commercial grade model if you plan on doing any more throughout the life of the mower.
  6. grasseaters

OK I looked on the website and it is listed under the Home Owner section. As I mentioned before i'm new to the lawn biz. What would be a better option? What are the prices of a newer commercail grade zero turn?
  7. TheOctagon

TheOctagon LawnSite Senior Member

If you are looking to stick with toro and a 52" the z400 or z450 look like nice models. I dont know much about toro. From what ive heard they are nice mowers though. What other dealers are in your area?
  8. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

check out the exmark lazer z ct nice model for what your looking for
  9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Grasseaters, you do not want to buy ANY homeowner mower to use commercially, you will regret it very quickly. I know of a solo LCO who purchased one of these Toro's you are looking at. He mowed 10 yards a week with it and it did not even last 3 months. Do yourself a favor and get a commercial grade, you will never look back.