Looking to really expand next season.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Aug 1, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Im needing to know how to get into contracts and since im 19 years old. should I even try? I have made a post about this before. Most told me to just go to them and talk to them.
    Well, My girlfriends step dad was working for a lawn company part time bacuse he got fired from his job. Two weeks later, he is buying all new equipment of his own and buying a Hibernia bank contract from the owner(his boss). This one contract, 30 banks a week, is pulling in $1,200.00 a week. so while everything is handed to him, im working my a$$ off passing flyers out door to door only to get biweekly, problem causing accounts that some other company has dropped.
    Thats what made me realize. If I want some income, Im going to have to upgrade to a commercial mower and get a few commercial accounts.

Question is, HOW do you get the BIG accounts like that? Im talking Banks, Hospitals, Walmarts, Librarys..........
    Even just one account like that + residential would put me WELL on my feet for now..........
  2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Walmart is tough....

they like most require 1million dollars worth of insurance.
    doing large places like this require a crew. and you better have knowlege of mowing around people and cars. Its easy to go cut someones lawn. but places where people are comming and going all day is much more difficult.
    it take longer and you will always have those type that will want to sue you.
    If you did anything or not.

you really cant bid these unless you have a crew, a Walmart would take a solo guy all day, or two, they just dont want u there that long

most contracts of Walmart have already been Awarded. everyone you see at them are subbing, it's a dirty game.

as far as Banks, I have went in and ask the teller, she then would get me an appoment to talk to the president, Librays are City proptery,

I can give you a little insite on what I'm trying to do.

around Houston we have the public transpertation called the metro. this is Government. they have about 30 park and rides, and pick up stations. wonderfull park type areas.
    my problem is that I must show that my Co. has assets inexcess of 500.000,00 Well I dont and cant.

you may want to stick with residential for a while.

and dont take this the wrong way, but being so young, people will not take you serious.
    after you get bigger you may want to consider hireing a salesman.
    a "Frontman" a guy who knows how to talk to these people and get these contracts...

Good luck my friend
  3. bahamamills

bahamamills LawnSite Member

Excellent advice bohiaa........