1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Looking to relocate to Florida

Discussion in 'Employment' started by GreenGirl, Jun 6, 2006.

1. GreenGirl

GreenGirl LawnSite Member
    from NC

My name is Connie and I am hoping to relocate to Florida. I am currently in NC. I have my AS in Horticulture and hold several Certificates and Diplomas in Nursery, Greenhouse production, Garden Center Mgmt, Installation and Design. I have worked at a few hort related jobs since graduating in 2005 including marketing plants to different chain stores, Greenhouse and nursery and most recently Assistant Maintenance manager. I managed commercial properties and accounts, scheduled and managed maintenance crews and designed and installed annual plants. I currently hold a NC Pesticide applicators license and am willing to apply for any FL licenses. Of course, to be prepared to learn about local plant material and turf. I am open to any hort related jobs maintenance, installation, sales etc. I have been searching on line but get lost in the internet. I hope to find a reputable company with benefits, relocation assistance(possibly). I am assertive, have excellent communication skills, can multitask, a great attitude and good manager. I am working on my Spanish but I always communicated enough to get the job done. If anyone knows of a good place to start or know of anyone is hiring in that area that would be great. I am just not quite sure on how to go about it from out of state.

2. Rich's LS

Rich's LS LawnSite Member

Check With Davey (407) 566-2114 in Celebration Fl (Orlando) They seem to be a good company to work for. You can either ask to speak to Terry, Tom, Or Garth.

Good luck
  3. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

You will not have any trouble finding a job in Florida Connie, if you do i am bringing you to Australia. :)

I have said it before guys the best man for the job is a woman, they work harder with less allround hassles. good luck Connie :usflag:

P.S you are not sure how to go about getting a job out of state? you are in the best place right now :)
  4. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i dont know colin. most have tried to scam me or steal from me. had 2 disappear and never come back for paycheck. phone disconnected, too. only ever had 1 that was worth a chit and she was a pita to work with and quit cause she didnt want to do any leaves or landscaping in the fall. im still waiting for a woman to prove she can last a whole year doing a MAN'S work.

on the positive side.... good luck. you can work for sfl. hes lookin for some women workers. :waving:
  5. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a pity to hear i,ve heard good reports on the whole, i think everybody would be better off finding women that have a genuine love of landscaping etc Connie fits the bill IMO, just remember to wear a skimpy bikini to the interview so the company can see if your an "assets":rolleyes: for them lol.

Good luck hope to hear how you go & hear of your adventures :usflag:
  6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

my friends hire an 18 year old girl to work in their sign shop. she got a papercut and started screaming bloody murder. they had to take her to the hospital she was so out of control. hospital put a bandaid on and billed them $250. :laugh:

she was fired after 2 weeks. when she was hired she was talking about wanting to go into the army. :dizzy: :hammerhead:
  7. jwscroll

jwscroll LawnSite Member

Got a few ladies here in Brevard that'll work alot of "men" I know under the table. One of which happens to work for me. Another that I know owns and operates her own detail buisiness and does well at it. On the flip side, I had to get rid of a lady solely due to her attitude at work both towards myself and some of my customers. She was a great worker, but the con's outnumbered the pro's.
  8. DreamscapeDesigns

DreamscapeDesigns LawnSite Member

Are you interested in moving to Atlanta GA area?
  9. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Yeah Florida is pretty nice down here for the green industry.

But it can get stressful down here, in my area anyway.

Its the opposite for me I wanna move to the mountains and NC is perfect.
  10. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 LawnSite Member

I Owned A Business In The Palm Beach Area And Mowed About 200 Lawns A Week And Some Small Commercial Stuff. I Moved To Mass And Am Making About Triple The Money And Working For 8 Months Instead Of 12 And Have Spring And Fall Cleanups To Make Up For The 4 Months Off And Get Plowing As A Bbonus. Mowing Lawns For 10 Bucks Is Tough In Fl Unless You Mow 20 In The Same Gated Community And Even Then Its Tuff.