1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

looking to save time measuring lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, Oct 28, 2001.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

what tricks do you guys have...
    i know some eye-ball them and to me
    thats a no-no when applicating.
    what i do is get the wheel and do the
    front (lxw) back and sides,write on paper
    go to the truck and do the math.
    some use a little tape recorder (i like that
    is that recorder a time saver?
    now on the calculator there are memory
    buttons any of you know hopw they work?
  2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

"just pace it out" like they will......that won't save any time...it actually will take more time than with the wheel!!

He has to walk to pace it out so he may as well have the wheel by his side. He can actually pace faster with the wheel because he's not counting in his head and paying attention to the size paces he's taking.

There's not much more you can do to speed it up. A recorder would probobly help out because you could be talking into it as you go like "dog poop all over the place" or "swingset and sandbox to trim around", etc. You can later listen to the tape to speed up your estimate.

This may be more trouble than its worth though. Read the post I made in the elements of business forum about measuring and time trials or something like that, maybe it will help you with some ideas.
  3. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Measuring for mowing? Ah, too much work, I'm ghetto and eyeball it.

4. Guido

Thats one way to save some time! :rolleyes:

5. Hardy Enterprises

Hardy Enterprises LawnSite Member

Does anybody else use aerial photos for large commercial bidding?

6. Guido

a friend of mine I met on here, used them for plowing. I don't think he visits this side to often anymore but you can find him at the SIMA forum or plowsite.com. I know for a fact he's used them.

Hope this helps!
  7. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

I still use my measure wheel on some new accounts. I can eyeball them just about right, but its nice to know sqft for when aplying ferts, etc.
  8. Eyeball the small and routine jobs, measure the big ones.
    A wrong estimate is not worth the time you might save.
    I have never been able to work those memory buttons:dizzy:
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

In this area we have 3 types of average subdivision type lawns. I can look at them and know within a few sf what they are. No big deal on these type lawns. Lawns that have more trimming, edging or out of the ordinary I will use my measuring wheel. For seeding or fert. I always measure. No taking chances there.
  10. Dochere

Dochere LawnSite Member

I don't think the tape recorder saves any time because you still have to listen to it to get the measurements you just took. Writing it down is also easier to find a mistake if something doesn't seem right. It is nice it the rain and wind though, much easier than wet and blowing paper.