1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to start a landscaping business in the spring, need tips and pointers!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rppaving, Jan 9, 2013.

1. tigerphan

tigerphan LawnSite Member

I dont know if I can charge more then 20 a yard for lets say a 40 foot front and 50 deep, since i have to also add in 13% sales tax.

good luck op we are in same boat, :canadaflag:

2. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a business book and read it and don't think just cause you should charge 60 per hour that you will get it...lots of competition in this business.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

From the time you begin to load the truck, until the time you're done for the day IS the amount of time dedicated to the particular job... Somedays it may be,,, just that way... becuz of drought or rain your ONLY job may be the one lawn, so make sure it is always worth the trouble to do that one lawn...
    Be sure to charge, Mileage on the truck and Hours on the mowers...

Learning horticulture is always a plus,,, planting plants is not that hard, but scapers kill a lot of plants by careless plantings... have fun...

4. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

You can also work on hardscaping if it interests you. Not sure about prices on that as I don't do that, but I've heard it's good money.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. rppaving

rppaving LawnSite Member

Technically what does hardscaping entail?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. LandFakers

from CT

Im no expert, but when I heard hardscaping I think Patios, walkways, stonework(ie facing), pools, and stone driveways. I may be way off with this, but I am no expert and Im sure another member can really tell you.

7. rppaving

rppaving LawnSite Member

Well ive done blacktop work for many years so a stone walkway or driveway shouldn't be tok bad. Also i wonder about the complexity of the other things you mentioned,how difficult would those be to construct for a potential client??
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Hardscape is really common sense from the ground up... Pardon the pun... Experience is good becuz it teaches you the consequences of some detail, you may have overlooked... using sand/gravel in most foundational issues is generally you best bet... When clay or rock heaves or settles is when your hardscape issue become a problem...
    Don't be intimidated by it... :)

9. LandFakers

from CT

I know of hardscapers that do pools, but there are people out there that do pools ONLY, and most of that work goes to them... But i have done stone facing for my mothers house and it isnt too challenging at all. I know my stone place near by holds classes every other saturday and im sure there is someone where you are that can teach you the basics. Another thing to add to your list may be stone, brick, and cement staircases. Everybody needs them for their house and its pretty simple stuff.

10. rppaving

rppaving LawnSite Member

Anyone else have any tips or pointers??
    Posted via Mobile Device