Looking to start a landscaping business in the spring, need tips and pointers!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rppaving, Jan 9, 2013.

1. rppaving

rppaving LawnSite Member

Im alzo trying to see what other work you all do, as well as the work i would be able to do, besides mowing ...
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Snow removal?

3. rppaving

rppaving LawnSite Member

That's exactly what I'm doing this winter already :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. MillerIn503

MillerIn503 LawnSite Member

Doing my footwork as well. On the matter of pricing, simple enough. Look up landscaping as if you are the one in need of service and study every website that is in your area and read the reviews on them. A lot of answers will come out of their own advertising. I have yet to even cut a lawn and am putting my rates together over the past couple of days. You can check out my basic format so far on facebook. Broom & Ladder Yard Care out of Portland,OR. Taking the time to do searches through LawnSite.com has been quite beneficial as well. It is like looking through a complete how to magazine. When you find your beneficial threads, subscribe to them.

5. rppaving

rppaving LawnSite Member

Another question I have is this: the 2 most popular kinds of mowers for landscaping are walk behind and zero turn right?

Which one would be better for me and why??

6. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have any accounts yet? What is your budget? I personally run a 36" wb because i market directly to smaller yards and most of them have gates in my area. My buddy markets all the gated community with big yards and runs a 52" ztr. Both work perfect for us but if we ever had to switch it would not be productive. See where I'm coming from?

7. THORNTON SERVICES LLC

THORNTON SERVICES LLC LawnSite Senior Member

start with the walk behind , they are more versitile and easier to learn in my opinion then when you can get a zero turn , will make your life easier on the big properties. Or alot of people are using the standers now I personally don't have any experience with them. Mainly see what accounts you have and think you will be able to get and get the best equipment for those accounts. I know alot of people that do well with a good push mower and a zero turn , and I know people that just have a walk behind , kinda depends on the accounts you are going to be servicing , like if your first account is a soccer field a walk behind would not be your best choice. my opinion though , hope it helps.

8. rppaving

rppaving LawnSite Member

A stander is a walk behind that you simply stand on right....so the machine carries you the entire time instead of having to "walk behind" it
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. THORNTON SERVICES LLC

there is different ones out there , there is the ones that you just stand on , there are ones like the toro grandstand that has a folding platform that you can stand on or walk behind check out you tube you can see videos of people using different machines

10. THORNTON SERVICES LLC

a stander is different from a walk behind, kinda somewhere between a walk behind and a zero turn.