Looking to Start-Up need some info

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dief2050, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Dief2050

Dief2050 LawnSite Member

I am looking at starting up a company in Michigan and would like to know about what you guys pull in a year. I dont exacts but it is something that I am seriously considering but unfortunately need to make a specific amount and need to know if I can come close to it.

2. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

What amount do you feel you need to make?

3. Dief2050

Dief2050 LawnSite Member

I am thinking about 40,000 for the year. I would even get a new truck to do snow if I need to.

4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Dief2050,
    What you make per year all depends on you. You and You only can determine what you make. If you work hard the money is endless but if you sit waiting for it to come well then might as well have a state or federal job.

5. Dief2050

Dief2050 LawnSite Member

How many days and how many hours per day do you guys work?

6. Dief2050

Dief2050 LawnSite Member

I am looking at having a 2 man crew and would like to work about 40 hours per week. Do you think that I can make it work or will I need to put more hours in?

7. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

are you one of the 2?

8. Dief2050

Dief2050 LawnSite Member

Yeah, I love cutting the grass and making my lawn look better than everyone elses

9. Dief2050

Dief2050 LawnSite Member

So yes I will be one half of the crew and I already have a friend that has said he would join me if I need some help.

10. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

I suggest you sit down and do an income, expenditure and cashflow forecast. Make up an action plan with realistic and achievable goals in it. These documents should be working documents and your management tools. Keep record of your actual figures, update and adjust these documents accordingly.

If you are thinking to make $40000 like you said - ask yourself how many accounts do I need to achieve that goal and how am I going to do it?

How many accounts do you have?
    What is your operating costs?
    What equipment are you using? This will determine your productivity rates.
    Labor costs? even if you're solo, you need to get paid. Most people forget to pay themselves when they do these forecasts.
    Overheads etc.

There are 100's of things. I cannot think of them all now - maybe the other guys here will help you with all of that.

To come here to hear what other LCO's are "pulling" won't work. You cannot base your figures on what they are doing. Every situation and area is different.

Like sildoc said it's only YOU that can determine what you're going to make and how big your "paycheque" is gonna be.

Keep checking back to this website - here's lots of very good and usefull advise. I'm learning all the time..

Read Sean Adams's thread on "Starting and Growing a successfull business".

Good Luck
    PC