1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lookinng for best grease

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wayne Offiler, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

Been paying almost $6 at NAPA for Morey's red grease which they said was the best. But there is little hard info on the tube. Been studying a bit about grease specs, and find that the better ones meet ASTM standard LB (chassis lube) and GC (wheel bearing). But I find that there is also NLGI temperature drop test and timken load test ratings that indicate the quality.
    Believe it or not, two of the best I found were at Walmart. Their own "Super Tech EP" had a drop test of 500 deg. and a timken load fo 55 lbs. There was also a "Sta-lube" red grease rated at 500 deg. and 80 lbs.
    Can anyone advise what they found to be the best grease? My main concern is for spindle bearings.
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Ive found Shaeffers moly supreme semi synthetic to be the best ive ever used.The only problem is it doesnt come off,it stays where you put it,so dont get it on anything you want to stay nice and clean.It is also water proof,and dont wash off with water.i can get th ordering info if your interested.The entire Shaeffers line of lubricants is excellent,IMO.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've been using CRC Sta-Lube Sta-Plex grease for a few years now and I haven't had to replace any bearings. It is also a lithium based grease so it can be used in Peerless gear boxes.
  4. hoagie

hoagie LawnSite Member

5. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: i've been using Amsoil synthetic for years and works out to be about $2.25 a tube when you buy the 40 tube pack, have turned many of my friends on to it and they love it. tony
  6. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Wolf's Head Red
  7. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I was using Amsoil synthetic grease and my bearing house guy told me never to use synthetic grease in high speed bearings. He got me worried, so I went back to using (Walmart) the red grease. I just figure that if I make sure the cavity is full all the time, I'll be okay.
  8. danzig

danzig LawnSite Member

Ok let me throw this in. I switched over to sealed bearings in all of my equipment. I figured that the money i was spending on grease could be applied to something else. The extra money i spent on grease could have bought many new sets of blades or gallons of gas. I bet a set of sealed bearings will last for at least 400 hours and probably more.Lets say 3 sealed bearings cost a total of 42 bucks. If they last at least 2 years thats 21 dollars a year. 3 years is 14 dollars a year. Compare the price of your grease over 2 or 3 years for the spindles only and see what you come up with. Not having to grease the spindles is a time saver for me. That is one less thing i have to do now. I use Sta-lube red grease on the things that i must still grease.
  9. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I second the Schaeffer's Grease, that stuff is super! They even have stuff that is not supposed to mess up your clothing, red stuff I think. Super tackey, very effective stuff.

10. kroll

kroll LawnSite Member

I use Lucas thick & tacky ,
    Buy it at NAPA for 3.19 a tube has anti sieze
    in it & 550 deg. drop point. seems to work very well.I don't see it on their page www.lucasoil.com/products.htm
    but I know it's in the flyer.