Looks like a late spring start

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfdude, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks to the recent abundant snowfall that we received, I fear we will be starting back late this year. We're usually gearing up to start this upcoming week, but w/ lots of snow on the ground, and colder weather on its way again next week - we're screwed.
    Don't get me wrong, we hadplenty of work this week, but I'd rather be doing my normal work now. I guess the past few mild years really spoiled me.

Bob

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You're right Bob, the last 2 winters have spoiled us. Seems like we started mowing at least 2 weeks earlier than usual.

And now they are calling for more snow on Monday:dizzy:

3. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

Nothing but rain, rain, rain down south....

4. ConPro

ConPro LawnSite Member

The drought is over now. So maybe we'll be cutting this summer. I put in 90 hrs over 4 days cleaning up snow. Broke one axle, one plow, blew an oil pump, had a hydrolic pump freeze twice. I need a week off.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Know the feeling...plowed for 21 hours straight besides having 2 other guys to help and then for another 11 hours after a short 2 1/2 hour nap. Broke front axel on the F-350 ($511 to fix). Ouch.

You need a week off? No problem, you're excused until the next go around:D

6. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

rodfather i don't even know if i could stay up for 21hrs, the fifties are taking there toll...LOL..Im glad for you all up there in all that snow, we just don't have much around here, Hate to hear about you machanical problems but sure you guys made a nice profit on all that white gold.......Marks Mowing Service

7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, here we have no snow, plowed only once or twice this year and that's because I felt like the commercial customer should get something for their monthly payment, besides the occassional salting, and with no snow on the ground all year, and record low temps, we have frost over 3 feet down and nothing to look to in the near future. Might be awhile before ground temps come up for the pre-emergents. Although, with the crazy weather lately we could get a few 70 degree days out of nowhere and really get busy. :dizzy: Yesterday and today were in the low 50's but really didn't make a dent towards warming up the soil. Tomorrow getting below freezing again and cold all next week. Strange fricken' year!!

8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Been raining here off and on all week. Gonna rain all weekend as well. My pre-m's are 2 weeks behind.

9. Stihl036pro

Stihl036pro LawnSite Member

This last strom I woke up around around 7:00 am estern time only to find out that my truck would'nt start due to the cold weather, I finaly got it going and was plowing during the strom when I broke my front u joint for the 4 wheel drive. I fixed that, by the time I fixed that it was 11:00 pm at night and the snow was coming to an end. I still had 40 plowing accounts for one truck to do. Then me and my helper plowed through the night until about 7:00 pm the next day. We got everyone done but there was a 1ft and a half of snow on the ground so it slowed everything down even more. It was real long and tireing, Lesson to be learned here is make sure your truck is in good working order. :)

10. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I know it was tiresome, but you made $$$$! That's what its all about. We dont have any snow to deal with down here. That can be good or bad, I guess.