1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Looks like brooms only...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grandview (2006), Sep 12, 2006.

1. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

2. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

So what are landscapers going to do? Retaliate and not clean up any grass off the streets and driveways? Basically make the community look like trash... Then the homeowners will complain to the city and change the law?

3. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Just start spraying the clippings off the areas with water and see what the evironmentalist wackos have to say about the noise of blowers then. Then they will complain we are wasting water to clean off the clippings.

4. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Just like the other poster said...leave the clippings....the law will change...it might change to you guys having to bag the clippings but it will definelty change.

5. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Tear down the carb, drill out the jets for .........alcohol!

and they thought it was loud before:dizzy:

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Use the mower to blow the clippings off lol

7. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Im pretty sure some lowballer will come out of the woods and offer not only a cheaper price, but clean up the driveways and walkways for free.. This law won't last long.

8. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Since no more gas powered blowers,you'll be tripping over all the extensions cords laying all over the street. Maybe I'll move out there and become a lawyer for all the trip and fall lawsuits.:confused:

9. EvandSeby

EvandSeby LawnSite Member

I took the family to Carmel in October two years ago to spend a week of vacation. The leaves were starting to fall from the oak trees that are throughout the community. On a morning walk I saw a commercial crew servicing a bank with 4 corded electric blowers all running at the same time. I asked the foreman/supervisior why do it like this? He said that Carmel had a gas-powered blower ban. It was louder than two gas-powered backpack blowers by far. THE BAN MADE THE PROBLEM WORSE.

10. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

You know we all got along fine before blowers and line trimmers. Yes I remember when these were just wishful thinking contraptions. I would hate to loose line trimmers but I could care less if they banned blowers.

That is the number one, bar none, biggest complaint I get from prospective clients when I am bidding. "Why can't they just bend down and pick up the leaves instead of blowing them into the next zip code?" It is also the biggest waste of labor in the business. When they are used correctly they are a time saver but they are rarely used correctly.

The noise is not the only thing people are complaining about its the particulates/dust that is stirred up by blowing silt you can't even see off the driveway into the air so we can all breathe it.