1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Looks like great year to make money but ...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by guven, May 1, 2007.

1. guven

guven LawnSite Member

This is my second year in the business , I did one year part time before that. I do mainly grass cutting , hedge trimming, yard clean up and this time of the season top soil and mulch jobs. I like what I do , I am solo and I have over 70 clients.most probably I am going to get an engineer job ( big company which is an international company and they offer everything.I was engineer in my mother country)
    My half side is keep my business forget the job and my other side is quit and run . Is there anyone out there tell me something about it.My phone rings off the hooks.

If you were in my position what should you do?
  2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

If the job you are being offered has a good salary and offers some job security, I would take the job. Maybe take the job and keep the cream of the crop of your clients and do them on the weekends or after work. Job security is a big thing to me.
  3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I was offered a job out of college to work at a big six accounting firm, making more Profit money than I was making off 50 clients in lawn care at the time. I decided to keep with the lawn business. I have made twice what I was offered back then, but big catch- If I had taken that job back in '93, and dedicated myself to accounting like I did to lawn care, I probably would be making more than twice what I was offered. I've had my freedom of choice and other great things, but no great insurance or retirement plan.

In the end you can be successful either way, but keep in mind this- If you work your tail off for someone else, they can still lay you off or fire you for any or no reason. Your income is gone. poof. It is extremely unlikely that you will wake up one morning and ALL your lawn customers will fire you the same day. You may lose one or three clients in one day, but great work at a fair price will keep you most of your clients. good luck- dave g
  4. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

That pretty much sums it up!:clapping:
  5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

What would you do if you broke an arm or pulled your back serious .... could your LCO operate without you ??

What about family health ... can your LCO afford a plan ?

Are you thinking of retirement ... can your LCO offer you security in the long run ?

What would you do if you lost ALL your equip in 1 weekend or tragic event ?

Don't get me wrong I KNOW what I would do ....n I've been doing it fore 10 years in this location ....just the things I had to ask myself

Thats why I HAD to set my LCO up too include employees, have a health plan, can & will be able to sell as a turn key (no matter what the opinion is by many on here ... that have NO clue) n I have back up equip to handle loss of a trailer in accident & replacement insurance in event of fire or theft

GL in your decision
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you got an engineering degree go get a job and drop lawn business. None of us know where this is headed with less water, grasses that grow less. I worked for a big company as an engineer for 37 years and it was a very good time of my life. I always thouht that the best engineering employees were the ones that had a business of their own before joining the company...why because they new what hard work was...just like farm boys made good employees.
  7. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

actually the wet places are getting wetter. we've had more rain here in new england than ever
  8. guven

guven LawnSite Member

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

How do you mow over 70 lawns and do mulch solo?