Looks like i may be headed to court

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by pclawncare, Jun 5, 2007.

1. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

This is the first time i have had any problems in 6 yr with a customer. anyway I have a customer which owes me roughly $450 dollars now about 2 months of lawn maintinance. Anyway this particular customer paid on time great last year and everything but lives in a different state about %80 of the time. Anyway i am looking for a little advice on what i need to do to win a successful case. Basicly what i have done so far i can prove that she authorized the work. I have sent her 3 invoices and recorded dates sent also called her 3 times and left voice mails with my name and number recoded time called and date called last voice mail i left and invoice i sent informed her that service has been suspended untill the bill is paid in full. She also left me her mothers # incase i would notice something around the house while she was gone that i needed to contact someone in town with. Recorded that date and time and left a voice mail and no return on that phone call. I feel that i have gone above and beyond to contact the customer. The only thing that i can think of that i have not done is send a certified letter. Is that really needed? Basicly is there anything else in need to have to cover my end of the deal in court?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'd just file it at Old debts myself, and be done with it.

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I suggest you ask rodfather about this problem. He had a similar situation and he found a way to collect... I think anyway. That may not be the same law in your state as it is in his though. Or send a certified letter and take her to small claims court.

4. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

sending a certified letter is a must, make sure you get the option where they have to sign for it as well. then you go to court, she wont show, youll get a judgement, then file a property lean for landscaping services.

5. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Good luck collecting on a judgment. As far as a lien goes...that only works if she goes to sell the house.

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like you have it covered pretty well. Don't put much stock in any advice unless the member is from Oklahoma, laws vary too much.

But don't listen to us amateur lawyers, call the Small Claims people at the courthouse and make sure you understand the process.

7. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

Thats good sound advice!!!!!!!! :clapping: I couldn't agree more!

8. Darrin A.

Darrin A. LawnSite Member

I would certainly listen to this amature lawyer :rolleyes:

9. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I actualy called one of my customers today he is actualy a lawyer here in town and kind of a friend of the family. Anyway he is going to help me out i am supposed to call him back tomorrow with some details he only had a few min. to talk today.

10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I will handle his case for $100 per hour, so long as I can still get all my mowing done :laugh: The judge loves it when I say "But I digress..."