Looks like I need some more trailer practice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Zach76, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

Alright guys, been just using the back of my truck for the last few years, but I decided to get a trailer today. Spent $865 on a 5X12, and I was all kinds of excited, but the first thing I did when I got it home was crush a shelf in my garage after 4 trys just to get it into the driveway. Oops. I know I'll get better, but I just thought it was kinda funny. Of course, when it first happened I was all kinds of mad, and that didn't make the wife too happy, but it's kinda funny now. Just thought I'd share the experience.
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

oooooooooops, didnt hurt the trailer did it?
  3. LocalTouch

LocalTouch LawnSite Member

At least you didnt back it into a car, or the side of your house! Keep working on it, you'll get the hang of it. I learned with small trailers, to use small corrections.
  4. BrianK10

BrianK10 LawnSite Senior Member
    from usa

Keep at it pal, you'll get the hang of it. Good Luck

5. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

Nope, trailer's cool. Bent a wheel barrow and the shelf, but no major damage.
  6. qball98

qball98 LawnSite Member

Here is a tip for you. If your backing a small trailer like one I use to have once it got past a certain angle there was no way to get it back straight again without going forward. It did not matter how hard you cut the wheel trying to correct it because it would just keep on turning. Something else you might try is holding the steering wheel at the bottom instead of at the top. By doing it this way the trailer turns the way you move you hand.
    Hope that helps
  7. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Small trailers are a bear to back up with ! There is a ratio of length of your truck compared to length of the trailer that really increases the difficulty of control when backing.

If the trailer is longer than the truck, it gets way easier to control it. Look how short a semi truck is compared to the 55 ft. length of the trailer. This is what makes it possible for them to back into the tight loading docks etc.

Your 12 foot trailer behind your 19 foot ? truck makes it a whole bunch more difficult to back up than a semi is. The problem is that the length of your truck magnifies all your steering movements and the short trailer seems to whip left or right with just the smallest movement of your steering wheel.

With a bit of practice, and experience you will quickly learn to make smaller corrections on the steering wheel, and it will be a piece of cake to put the trailer just where you want it.
  8. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

Learn to back with your mirrors. Looking over your shoulder seems easer but it's not really and you'll see what I mean after you learn. By using the mirrors you can keep track of whats going on in front of your truck and where the trailer is going at the same time. I wish I could describe to you how to use the relationship between the back sides of your truck bed and the trailer for keeping track of where your at but I can't it's something you just have to learn.
  9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

When I got my trailer, I went right to an empty school parking lot and practiced for about a half hour or so.

Backing into parking spots, parallel parked, just messed around to get a feel for it.

Definately made me more confident for the road and real conditions, like backing it through my storage unit garage door (which is tough because it's at an angle, not straight back).
  10. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :rolleyes: ....yep...I remember when i got my first trailer.