1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Looks like I will be buying a reel mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tbarchaser, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Looks like I just picked up this account. He wants the Zoysia cut around 1" to 1.5" Do you think I will need a reel mower? The sod was only laid last month would top dresing be a good idea? Thanks

2. Tbarchaser

from Florida

another angle

3. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can get away with 1.5" using your ztr or walkbehind, no. If he demands lower, I guess you'll have to get a reel mower.

But my question is: Is he going to pay for the extra time you will spend push mowing (homeowner type reel mower), or are you going to invest in a golf course fairway mower for one account?

From the pictures, the turf looks pretty smooth. Unless he insists, or unless you can make some good money doing it, I wouldn't topdress. It just depends on how perfect and smooth he wants the lawn to look. However, it looks like he may be starting a putting green (in the top photo); that may use some topdressing.
  4. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

That is an incredibly beautiful account!:eek: :D Dont get grass in the pool!:p
  5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Check with Steve (fantasy lawns)

He has an acct with a putting green in the dudes front yard. He may be able to lend some assistance based upon first hand knowledge of clients expectations and the REALITY of THEIR investment.

Good Luck!!!
  6. Tbarchaser

from Florida

Money is not an issue with this guy, I can "Do whatever it takes to make it look PERFECT" The green is synthetic so I am only dealing with the zoysia. I am talking about getting a Mclane self propelled or something like it. And yes its worth it to buy the mower for this job only. Shaq lives a block away if you get the idea.

Lawn boy, not to worry about the clippings in the pool...we service that too. And change the light bulbs, ect...When I say we are full service I mean it.
  7. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Tru-cut makes a nice mower, it is self propeled when ever you want, I use a 27" model at the ball feild. I have a Trimmer brand mower 25", it is well built and cuts nice, but if you want to get it anywhere you have to push it til your on the lawn, Its only self propeled when you mow, and the same for the McLane, The Mclane is a home owner mower. It is decently built, but for a little more you can get the Tru-cut which is self propeled when ever you want, are the Trimmer.
  8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

We use a Tru-Cut .... nice little unit ... the only thing I don't like is the grass catcher never had a cover like a Toro unit .... not a huge deal as we really only catch it in mid summer ..... but YES I would suggest looking into a Reel unit .... get a used one ....n if you get more jobs like this than get a better unit .... this little 20" was like $650 but that was 6 years ago

Walker makes a reel deck attachment for there mowers .... n that looks like Perfect yards for a Walker

It's gonna be a pita with those Queens so close to the pool .... not only keeping clippings out of the pool but when they flower .... what a mess

This looks like a $#@!$ come Summer time ;->
  9. Tbarchaser

from Florida

That tru-cut looks like a nice mower I will be looking in to it. My dealer has a new Mclane 20" 3.5b&s s/p with a striping roller for $700. I cant seem to find the M.S.R.P on that unit so I dont know if its a good deal.
  10. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Tbar, you're going to buy a specialized mower for this one account?