Looks like I'll be giving up 60% this week

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jpocket, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Currently i have only half of my tuesday route done. None of Wednesday and it looks like none of today. I know I can't do it all by myself Friday and Saturday. It just bothers the heck out of me, I see other guys cutting mostly the bigger guys but it's just too wet. ANYTIME it takes a half hour to blow a blacktop driveway off its' TOO WET. what are you guys doing?

2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Nothing here. Fortunately, I can get my route done in 2 days, so at least I have the end of the week. This weather is killer.

3. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing at all it's just too wet....I thought i would atleast get a few in today but i woke up to it pouring. Im hoping to just get biggest accounts done tomorrow now and call the rest a loss until next week.

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Get everyone on a flat monthly fee with a "weather permitting" clause. That way you're not out the income.

You said yourself, what can you do???

One question I DO have though, and I realize that here in MN, with the accounts that I have, how come you have so much grass on the blacktop??

You do make sure you go around the yard twice or 3 times and make a buffer zone, so the grass stays in the grass, right?

Not trying to insult you, but around here I see people making stripes in a yard, and driving up on the driveway to turn around and go back across, leaving grass everywhere.

If you get good, and you have the room to move about on the turf, you really should have minimal grass on the blacktop.

5. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

It's been raining here in Galloway Township hard and steady since Sunday night. I'm 5 miles outside of Atlantic City, if you look on the radar were getting pounded. So obviously we haven't been doing anything since last week. I will try and make it up by working Saturday and the forbidden Sunday, I really don't mind, once isn't going to kill me. Where was this rain two months ago? Anyway I'm starting to get the phone calls for Christmas Lighting, that always puts us in a good mood.

Daveyo
    O'Donnell Landscape and Design

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Last time I got rained out of an entire week of lawn cuts was 6 years ago in mid May. I cannot believe this but it is happening again if I add in 3-4 weeks lost to a very late start in spring from snow then 6 weeks of drought and now this I figure the weather has stolen 40k from me year to date. Sucks as I need every dollar for my plans this year but what can you do but grin and bare it. This is day 7 of rain I did work the first day of it last week and finished my lawns with about 5 mins to spare it appears this is going to go through Saturday so a total of 9 days of straight rain so far we already have gotten 12 inches.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you are losing more than 60%, if you are charging them "per mow". as it is, you lost this week, your tues, wed, thurs and friday customers will probly be cut on monday/tuesday. with the rain and wind, it will take u much longer as there will be wet grass, excessive growth, and leaves and limbs everywhere. they'll expect you to clean up, at the regular mowing rate, cus "it's not thier fault it rained", and i expect you will do it. now, since wednesdays, thursdays lawns will be cut monday/tues, you can't resume a regular swchedule on wed, afterall, you were just there the day bfore, so you'll lose next week. it's a lose lose.

8. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

We're way behind for the year in rainfall. Last month we only got 1.22 inches and this month only .42 and that was on the first day of the month.

The ground is like powder and bricks. Don't know how the Bermuda is staying green but it is growing real slowly.

Wish we could get some of your overflow here.

Nosmo

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Not doing anything, I tood a ride by yesturday to check a few of them out and boy have they grown. Having school and basketball doesn't help! But, it is suppose to stop for saturday then continue sunday so i have like 13 clients i have to get done, thats alot for me!! Good Luck to all!

10. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

This week was a wash for me. Its still coming down pretty good here too. As far as today, working in the garage and putting the leaf vac on the trailer.