1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Looks like nutsedge.....but so tall ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Eakern & Dog, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

This looks like sedge to me but I have never seen it so tall before.

2. thecompletehome

thecompletehome LawnSite Member

This is definitely nutsedge. It can get up to 3 feet tall if left alone!
  3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Eakern & Dog

That is Purple Nutsedge. You are probably used to Yellow Nutsedge which grows much shorter. "Image" works better on Purple Nutsedge than Manage, Sledgehammer.
  4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Yes, Yes, Yes Purple Nutsedge. Do not mow two days prior using the Image that Ric said and follow directions. Image is good but you won't see results for 3-4 weeks and probably will need a second application. There was a terrible infestation of it, but now turf is free.
  5. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

has anyone tried dismiss yet? It creamates sedge!
  6. DSTC

DSTC LawnSite Member

Way too expensive for broadcast in my opinion. It does b***h slap sedge tho :)
    Kills in 2-3 days, but cost wise it's only really good for spot treatments. Unless you can get away with charging a customer enough to make up for product+time, which in that case, more power to ya!
  7. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the information folks ! This is an isloated patch(so far) about 1'x3' that came up near my composting area. I was thinking of just pulling them up by hand since they seem to be coming up so easily. The nutlets appear to come right up with it ........intact and all. I'm thinking I'll zap whatever comes back up after first pulling what I can in the stand.

P.S the nutlets on them are extremely hard :weightlifter:
  8. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Yes, Stuff is amazing, but expensive
  9. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

WATCH THE LABEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    3 months to wait for reseeding. fescues and rye
  10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Here is yellow nutsedge growing in a ditch. Tallest measured 26 inches and still growing. This pic was taken today.:usflag:

yellow nutsedge.jpg