1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"Looks worse then before you cut it"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncare3, May 25, 2005.

1. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I call customer about lawn I cut yesterday was 18" in some spots. Well this lawn is ALL DEAD. I cut it and trimmed it very good. I call him and he says "it looks worse then before you cut it, it wasn't trimmed and I am quite frankly not happy"

So I went over and did a little better trimming :p :D

It was great before but now it's even better I made such a definition in the trimming hte dirt shows around everywhere I trimmed it. If he don't pay I will give the realtor a call and have her add it to his costs or tell him I will put a lean on it which I have no intention of doing. What would you do in this situation.
  2. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I tell them beforehand and again after I finish that when the grass is that long, it is not going to look great right away. It will be stressed, it will be brown, and some of the tall stuff will lay down when I'm mowing and trimming, only to pop up some time after I am done.

So far, I haven't had any complaints after taking on a neglected lawn. If you wait until they see the problems to start explaining, it can sound like you are making excuses for sub-par work. Better to educate them ahead of time, IMO.
  3. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well him and his wiffe devorced and the house has been empty for about 3 months. It hasn'e been watered all year long so it's just ALL dead hay grass.
  4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Tell him your mower is a MOWER, not a time machine or miracle worker. It doesn't go back in time and water. Pay up.
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you should not have gone back. you did the job, you should have demanded payment, period
  6. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

If they (owner/realtor) don't pay for the service, by all means file the lein. The house/property can't sell with an unsatisfied lein clouding the title. Look out for #1 first.

7. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

for questionable charactors like this, i usually get suspicious that the just want me to clean up the mess, one time deal, then screw the next lawn guy the same way. When I arrive ready to mow, I don't start until I get some CASH in my hand. I also have to tell them that it is probably going to look rough after the first mow or two.
  8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Did you explain to the customer before cutting that the finished product wasnÂ’t going to look nice and green? Did the customer sign a contract prior to the work being done? I find some of this job is managing customer expectations.

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Id've done a good job the first time empty house or not I would not have had to go back.

I would have been able to assure my client right there on the phone that I had done the very best that could be done on that property.
  10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

derelict properties are usually owned by derelicts. Make them PAY UP FIRST. It bad enought to waste the gas driving there, but not to actually do the work and not get paid.