Loooogie how is bussiness?

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by blacktop, Jul 22, 2008.

1. blacktop

blacktop LawnSite Member
    from toronto

Loooogie how is bussiness, are you up and running?

2. Loooogie

Loooogie LawnSite Senior Member
    from YORK

I am having a lot of problems finding a tank. I had a few tanks lined up but they fell through... I have plans to pick up a diesel tank on Saturday but the only thing is it a 6 hour round trip to get it, plus the guy wants a little too much for it. At this point I have no choice, I cannot find anything near me. :cry:

Once I get the tank, it will be at the welders for a day. And more day to put the system together. And one more day to pick up supplies like brooms, filler, caution tape, sealant etc.... I have a few test driveways lined up that I am doing free of charge just to get the feel of things. :weightlifter:

As for the business side of things, my business cards and flyers have been made up by me and I sent them to my cousin who is a awesome designer, and btw he does great websites if anybody is intersested, he is very reasonably priced. :canadaflag:

I have gotten alot of word of mouth advertising, and alot of people I know want to get their driway sealed.

Anyway If i get the tank on saturday, I should be up and running in a week. Less if I take time off my day Job.

I guess I could have bought a ready made system, but there is somthing inside of me that won't let me do it. I guess it is really hard to spend that much money on something you plan on doing on the weekends to start. :nono:

Thank God I did not get it ino my head to build my own truck. :hammerhead:

Anyway thanks for asking. And sorry for rambling on....

3. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Where are you located? I'm in Richmond Hill. Will you just do asphalt sealing or interlock/petterned concrete too?

4. blacktop

blacktop LawnSite Member
    from toronto

Loooogie,

Go to hear that you have the bussiness side of things all set up. What your web site called I like to see it. As for your set back with the tank, there hard to find used there like gold with the price of scrap metal these days. Take your time with the set up of your equipment lay out, it is easier change it now before you bolt evrything to the truck. When I started out it took me four weeks to get things sorted out. A month later I change it again so it would work better for me. So take your time and do it right it well save you a lot of time instead banging your head off the wall.

Best of luck let me know when your running may be if I am to busy I can throw some work your way.

5. Loooogie

from YORK

Blacktop,

Thanks for the advise man!

I hope I don't have do any major rework to my system. I have a good idea of what I want to do, it should not be a big deal.

Bottem line, if the system works well enough to do the job in a respectable manner then that is what matters to me right now. I am sure I will have to do some rework down the road but I HOPE to be up and running in 1 week and make some money on the long weekend.

As for the website, I don't have it up and running, and no plans to do so right now. That is something I am looking to have up for next season.

My cousing is comming by this saturday to work on my flyers, signs and business cards. He is a great artist and does all his work from scratch.

He has a cool site where he keep most of his work but I don't remember the web address. I will post if for you guys, you never know maybe I can help you guys out for a change.

I also registered my business today and my name. I will post it after a register my dotcom.

This is my first busines so I hope to do well.

I work in a factory, technical/supervisor type job. 4 weeks ago, I had an idea to save my company a ton of money, one idea, and one hour to prove my point and test my theory, now the company will be saving $30,000 + of real cold hard cash per year!

So when I get called in for my yearly raise my hopes are high, the company is doing really well, I have high standards, I work hard, I work well with everybody and I really do care about the company.

So what do I get $0.32 an hour! The lowest raise of my life, dammit when I was a kid working at a bowling alley I got 50 cents!

At that point I realized nobody cares what I do... you could be lazy dog (we have them) or work your hand to the bone. I now feel like am in jail for 11 hours a day, for what I make $1000 just to spend a $1000. In the end you are just spinning your wheels in the mud.

So I made up my mind, I am out of there. The sooner the better.

Sorry for the mega post.

6. Loooogie

from YORK

I am planning to do interlock once I get settled with the Sealing business, it is something I will be looking into and only makes sense to do.

7. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a growing call for this in my area, just not enough hours in the day for me to take this on. I get 4-5 calls a weeks on this.

8. PlatinumLandCon

I meant seal interlock:laugh:. Building anything stone or interlock is a good business for sure. If I did it full time, I could make equivalent of $75k+ at a normal job (but we have all the write off bonuses). I only do this for the summer between school so I have to fit everything into 9 weeks somehow:dizzy:. Where are you located? I've got about 5-6 $10k interlock jobs out in Ajax that I could use a hand with. Let me know.

9. Loooogie

from YORK

I should have been more clear, I plan on sealing interlock.

I have applied in my home but I have not reasearched the issue

Do you use a machine to spray the interlock sealer? Or is it just a hand pump sprayer? Do you have a supplier for bulk sealer?

I have truck, brooms, blower, caution tape.. etc...

How many square feet are we talking about, how many coatings do you want?

I am in Toronto but I am willing drive to Ajax with my partner on the weekends!

10. PlatinumLandCon

Well I do the construction part, but by all means I'll pass along a card if you want. I've got a current client with about 1100sf driveway + walkway that needs a good wash and seal. Let me know about pricing. PM me if you'd like.