Loop or Bike Handle trimmer

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Steven B, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Steven B

Steven B LawnSite Member
    from CA

I'm going to clean up a 4,000 sq.ft. loot that's covered in weeds. I'm looking at getting a new trimmer to clean up the outer edges, going to use a tractor to take care of the rest. It sets between two buildings & I don't want to get to close to the buildings with the tractoor.
    I'm looking at getting a new trimmer to be used with a disk, so I need solid driveshaft trimmer. I can't decide if I should get the loop or a bike handle trimmer. I've tried both out & I'm comfortable with both.
    Stihl 90 bike handle sells for $330 & $300 for the loop, found a redmax loop on sale for $300. My mind sit has been on the bike handle, but the loop would be allot more usefull on a regular basis next to my husqvarna 326.
    What's everyones opinion?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

loop...hands down, no ifs, ands, or buts. It is much more versatile, and easier to handle. It allows you to reach out further and maneuver it much easier - therefore be much more productive.

3. jiggz

jiggz LawnSite Senior Member
    from jerz

loop for the win

4. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

Loop for string....Handle Bars for Blade

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Screw the string trimmer.

I use my articulating hedge trimmer head on the end of my string trimmer. Basically it turns it into a hand-held sycle bar.

I clean up fence lines for my Father-In-Law every summer with it. I can do 3000 feet of electric fence line in 3 hours or so.

String trimmers are a waste of time and effort in brushy situations.

6. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

i second this

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

For scathing, taking down weeds or tall/thick grass, and brushy stuff as you describe, there is absolutely nothing better as far as portable cutting goes. You can run the trimmer at about 1/3 throttle at most, and it cuts through the stuff clean like butter. No tangling, no having to pull back to avoid tangling - just cut on. The tall stuff just neatly lays down, and you don't have stuff flying all over, either. :weightlifter:

8. Steven B

Steven B LawnSite Member
    from CA

Thanks for the help. I think I've decided on a bike handle.
    Found a Tanaka TBC-340PFD for $420. Anybody have any experience with it?
    I've only found Honda & Stihl bike handle trimmers locally, everyone else wants to sell me a loop & order the bike handle extra. :hammerhead:
    I'm going to call around more tomorrow to see what I can find.

9. markahurley

markahurley LawnSite Senior Member

seriously? then why ask? honestly. :)

10. Steven B

Steven B LawnSite Member
    from CA

I was debating on what to get. Should I get a loop & spend $60+ on the BH kit or get the bike & worry about getting loop afterwards. The more I read, made me decide on getting the bike handle.