loose ends

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EHesseyLawns, Apr 1, 2003.

1. EHesseyLawns

EHesseyLawns LawnSite Member

ok guys, it's all happening!!

im getting a toro z in a few SHORT days!....my question is this, should i get a single axle or tandem trailer? how long should i get it? (i will also have a toro walk behind on there too), i know that i need my trailer 6'5'' wide.

help!

2. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

I have a toro z, 21" mower, wb blower, other various and sundry equipment on a 16 ft., 3500 lbs, single axle. I've been known to add a 48" walker to the mix. If I had my druthers, I'd opt for the tamdem axle but I've had no problem with what I've got.

3. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Leave your self room to grow, its more cost effective.

4. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

6'5" or 6.5'? I would get wider if you can, if you plan on using a bagger anyway. Actually, what width Z are you getting? Congrats on getting it so young... not that I am much older, but hey. I have a 12' trailer with a 60" exmark, a 36" exmark and a 21, and I have to put the 36 on sideways, adn if I ever get the bagger, will have to take it off to get into the trailer width-wise. I would think you could find a good 16' dual axle pretty cheap, and thats probably yoru best bet... What kind of truck?

5. EHesseyLawns

EHesseyLawns LawnSite Member

i have a 98 dodge ram 1500. my z will have a 60 in deck.

6. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I would love to have a wider trailer, but if the bed is 6-1/2' wide, plus tires on either side, aren't you pushing 7-1/2 ft wide? I'd be too scared to pull it. My Nissan Frontier is very narrow and my 5-1/2 ft trailer is already much wider than the pickup.

I'm always fearful that I'm going to drive by a car parked on the side of the road and my Nissan will clear it but my trailer won't.

Later,
    DFW, TX

7. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

I would say you should get a 16' with brakes

8. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

I agree with roscoli and like he said get those eletric brakes.Especially with a half ton truck like the 1500.

9. glenjr10

glenjr10 LawnSite Member

16' tandem axel is the only way to go. I just purchased one, and love, it. It has plenty of room, and much more than i need right now, but i bought it so i could expand my business.

Make sure it has brakes.