Loose Lazer Deck Struts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TLS, Jun 6, 2001.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have the 2001 27hp LC 60" Lazer. For those who have owned them for years, or have bunches of hours, I ask you this: My deck support struts,( they go from the rear of the deck back to a heim joint around the rear axle). Mine are fairly loose (big end),(ie. 1/8" play) and I only have about 175 hrs on it. I grease it twice weekly as with all the greasable joints. The deck just seems to have a lot of play in it. Is there a replaceable bushing in the (big end) that attaches to the deck? Doesn't look like it from the parts manual. How much are these to replace and how long can I let them go? It just bothers me that the deck is a little loose with so few hours. Hope its not due in any way to the EZ-Striper :(

Also, are all Lazer non-greasable caster and wheel bearings real tight? On my old Dixie, when jacked up they would spin forever! The Lazer is almost tough to turn by hand. Better to be a little snug than to have too much play I guess!

Thanks in advance guys!

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I think this slipped through the cracks, bringing it back to the top.

3. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

My Lazer has 1300+. The deck has alot of play 1/2+
    I figure ordered new Struts for both sides and will replace when it slow down a little. It still cuts great, but I figured something will let go soon.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's kind of weird, because mine has about 500 hours on it now, and I have no play at all in it (60"). As far as the bearings being tight, yes they are supposed to be relatively tight. The caster wheels for example, are addressed in the manual as not being able to spin freely. (This is in the lubrication section) Have you talked to the dealership about these struts yet?

5. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Dixie, my struts are not loose so can't help, but did anyone notice in the lubrication section where it says you need to "Monthly disassmeble belt and spring and grease under a "NO LOAD" condition", the Deck Drive Belt Idler Arm, Mule Drive Belt Idler Arm and the Pump Drive Belt Idler Arm? Lazer just sent me a separate letter with a Lubrication information chart including this--very interesting.

As Runner said, this chart has a whole section on caster wheels with a 9 point service instruction. It ends by saying "...spin caster tire. The tire should not spin freely (more than 1 or 2 revolutions) or have any side play. If the wheel spins freely adjust it as per step i." Good luck, Will M>

PS: I posted a question on my old F935 on the repair forum. If you haven't seen it could you please take a look? Thanks.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

what about it fellows is this just exmarks way of sending some buisiness to there dealers.not being cute just wondered what you longtime lazers users think.knock on wood but this lazer i got seems about bullet proof. if you longtimers think its legit concern
    mine gets done monday. this things been good to me, i owe it the same