Loose throttle cable

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by chariot, Dec 18, 2002.

1. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2002 model Lazer EPS with around 160 hours. My throttle cable will not stay at full throttle. It will back off approximately 1/4 of the way in just a matter of seconds. Any ideas? Is this common, especially with this low amount of hours.
    Thanks for any help.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Chariot,

Thanks for the post.

YouÂ’re not alone with this problem. The simple answer is to tighten the nyloc nut at the cable lever pivot. The difficult part is actually doing it. You can tighten it with the console in place by placing one wrench on one side from underneath the console and sliding one along side the throttle lever from the front. It's a little awkward and you've got to feel your way around on the underside but it's not all that bad. Your other option is to loosen the console plate but I'd try the other approach first.

Thanks

Terry

3. chariot

Thanks, I was looking at it today when I got in and that is what I was thinking. Has anything been done to fix this problem on the new models? I am wondering because if I can get a new cable and not have to worry about adjusting it every 160 or so hours then I may do that. Thanks for the quick response.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Chariot,

Good question!

We do see this on a few units but it's not real wide spread. It appears that this is just a wear item and you may or may not have to tighten it again.

Tightening the bolt/nut should fix the problem now. Most of the wear is going to be caused by dust and dirt getting in between the two "wear plates" and causing abrasion. Any time you have two pieces of metal rubbing against each other you will get wear over time. If however you get dirt, dust or other debris between the two faces you can increase the rate of wear.

My recommendation would be to blow air through the throttle cable opening and behind the console each time I blow off the machine to get as much of the fine dust as possible out of the area.

Thanks

Terry

5. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

That happened to me too. Just take the console off, it can be a pain, then tighen it up.

6. chariot

Thanks for the info. I guess it will be Spring before I have to think about it again.