Loosening blade bolts

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by harryhomeowner, Jun 14, 2004.

1. harryhomeowner

harryhomeowner LawnSite Member

Bought new blades for my lawn tractor. After taking the deck off and securing the blades from moving (counter/clockwise). I tried several times to loosen the blades using a socket set but, I guess between the bolt corners having somewhat less than perfect edges and the fact that I kept slipping off the bolt I decided to bring the deck into my dealer and have them try to loosen the bolts before I end up destroying the bolts.

Even the WD40 didn't help.

How do you guys avoid this from happening to you?

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I use an impact wrench to remove blade bolts and a torque wrench to put them on to spec.

3. harryhomeowner

Is their a solution without owning an impact wrench?

4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Big breaker bar.....

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Along with good bolts that are not "rounded"

6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Get some new bolts and some new tools.

Then put the new bolts on according to the torque specs every single time you put them on.

Then use the right tool every single time you remove them.

7. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

If the blades are that tight that you cant brake them free you hit something will mowing .

8. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Hmm.. pipe wrench or a really good tight vice grips to get em off, and use the clamp and whack method, don't try to just push on it, you'll end up twisting them off. But I must say, as a shop, it is one of the sadest things to do, to have somebody bring their deck in to us, tell us they've been working all morning trying to get em off... We put the 1/2 on the impact and "brrrb" one second they are on, the next second they are off. There ARE electric impact wrenches out there, but not sure how much they run.

9. harryhomeowner

We'll brought it to the shop yesterday afternoon. I stopped prior to destroying the bolts. The tech took his rubber mallet and secured the two, connected the air impact gun and 2 seconds and $35 later they were off!

Had him install the new blades, sharpen the old and bought two new nuts. This evening I will go to Sears and check out electric impact wrenches.

10. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

At Sears, also check out a plain ol' breaker bar. It's a 2-foot-long 1/2" socket wrench (non-ratcheting). Being that long gives you torque, and also allows the wrench to extend outside of your deck (in case something slips, your hand will be away from the mower blades). It'll save you from spending $100+ on an impact wrench you might only use a couple of times a year.