Loosening bolts, clockwise or counterclockwise?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by CoastalEmpire, Aug 4, 2004.

1. CoastalEmpire

CoastalEmpire LawnSite Member

When I'm ltaking off the blades on my Super mini Z, which way to the loosen? clockwise or counterclockwise?
  2. CoastalEmpire

First time taking them off, suckers are on TIGHT. No impact wrench, 15/16th open end wrench w/ cheater bar. I'm afraid if I give w/ all my might I'll break something, maybe my self. I want to make sure if there it' s something other than lefty loosey, righty tighty. Regarding the pic, I'm going under. If I don't make it out alive...tell my family I love em.

resized copy of p1010006.jpg
  3. fastrackguy

fastrackguy LawnSite Member

I removed blades from my fastrac today and they use a common thread bolt.( not reverse thread) if your manual dosen't say clockwise to remove I would suspect that they are a common thread. Also remember to tighten them to spec. My fastrac's are torqued to 110 ft pounds. ( They are a bugger to break loose!) If you don't have a torque wrench and are thinking of buying one.
    ( cheap ones work fine) I strongly recommend the 1/2 in drive wratchet type. It has a longer handle and you can tighten them and listen for the click noise instead of having to have your head underneath the mower using a dial type. Also the book said the bolt was 15/16 but mine were 1 inch. So you might need to buy a socket or wrench if you don't have one that size laying around.

4. CoastalEmpire

Thanks fastrack guy
  5. Dagoose

Dagoose LawnSite Member
    from NY

Use a 1/2" breaker bar. I added a pipe to the breaker bar to get better leverage. That middle bolt gave me quite a work-out.

Use a torque wrench to tighten them back to specs per your manual.
  6. greggo

greggo LawnSite Member
    from ct

Try putting some (antiseize compound) on the bolt threads.It will make getting them off the next time a breeze.

Loctite is one company that makes it.The stuff is silvery and kind of looks like pipe dope. Any auto parts store should carry it.

I have used this stuff for years on spark plug threads for some hard to reach plugs on my truck and they always come off easy.

Another tip that I use is,before I put the antiseize compound on any threads,is to touch up the threads a bit and clean it with a wire wheel.It will get any crud thats on the bolt off. It only takes a second and you can almost screw the bolt all the way in before torqing it up to spec.