Loosin Sleep

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gunputt, Mar 2, 2005.

1. gunputt

gunputt LawnSite Member

Hello all.
    I am on the verge of going full time with my Lawn Service and saying so long to my job of thirteen years, but now I am starting to have second thoughts. Anyone regret taking the plunge and leaving behind the security of their other job?
    John

2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I think most people do at the beginning, but after two or three seasons, that all fades.

As long as you're hitting a couple of thousand homes with flyers and/or mailers, you'll have plenty of business. The more you put out, the easier it will be to get the rates you want.

Don't worry about the case of nerves as long as your business plan is solid and you're executing it. Good luck.

3. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Before you take the plunge make sure you have enough operating capital to keep yourself in business at least six months with little or no profits. This is one of the most common causes of failure for new businesses. Too many of them take the plunge and don't have enough money to stay in business 'till it gets rolling. Once its rolling you should have it, but you gotta get rolling first!

4. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

I have been with my job almost 4 years and one way or another, I'm going out there on my own this year. I am going to hold onto the job until I really get busy and hope it works. I may take a night job that's easy like delivering pizza or something to help out. I know what you mean about second thoughts though. Fortunately I hate the job I have so it does help motivate me. Plan smart, work hard and don't spend anything and you'll do fine. I'm in the same boat if it makes you feel better.

-Paul

5. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I say if your going to do it go 100% You have a job now but a limited income for life. When I went into business I had about $400 in my account. Just crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. If you dont have a plan B and put all your eggs in one basket it makes for good motivation to make your business work and succeed. I'm not saying copy me, your situation could be totally different. I dont have a family to provide for or any major responsibilities, although I took a risk it was limited to my money invested and that was about it, the job I quit was $18,000 a year and those jobs are pretty easy to come by if things didnt work out.

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I read your profile and it says your a 10 year pepsi man. I quit working for that hellish company almost 10 years ago, and never looked back. What do you do there? It all depends on your situation, but when it suceeds its very worth it.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I agree 100%...I had a year's worth in the bank in savings to keep me afloat beside equipment acquistion expenditures.

8. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

is is scary. I am taking to plunge this year. Im going to be doing the LCO full time and cook 3 night a week. Thats the araingment i made with my boss.

9. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Having enough capital to sustain yourself for a year is a great idea, but a very hard task. My previous job I barely made it from paycheck to paycheck, theres no way I could saved enough cash to live on for a year and have start up costs. My situation as a single person, young 23 at the time, and a low paying job this would have been unfeasable.