Loosing accounts.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Kurt, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Kurt

Kurt LawnSite Member

Thank you. Thank you. That's exactly what I want to hear.
    I KNOW I'm new AND my customers know I'm new. That attracts the people who other companies DON'T want. I'll be the first to admit that people take advantage of me and I am vulnerable (being desparate to get work).

2. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

Wow!!! Your above statement has to be the most honest post that I have read. You have my upmost respect Sir.

3. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

you are being honest with yourself, but...

losing customers is part of our business. do a good job, respect your customers, and you will minimize your cancellations.

you sound quite bitter over the ordeal. you have lost a significant portion of your customer base so something is wrong. have you worked in the industry before? do you know what acceptable standards are?

are you younger? this could be part of the reason people seem to be so quick to drop you.

4. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

theleven has good advice.

I ask why they want a landscaper, and if they have an idea what things should cost. I also ask people who have had a pro before what caused them to call somebody else. Sometimes they're fishing for a cheaper price, or want a cheaper price to try to get their guy to come down some. If they hem and haw, you may not be getting straight answers. If they seem to be a bit on the anal retentive side, I factor that into price (meaning higher).

This type of thing is why I don't use 12 month billing for residential clients. What can you do if after you do all the work, they decide to cancel and still owe you money? It can be hard to get it from them.

On the whole you can expect to lose some. Usually it's because you either did something wrong, didn't do something, or they just can't afford it. BTW, a lot of the people who can't afford it will call in the summer when it gets hot and fire you when they can take the weather.