Loosing green quick!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Bunton Guy, May 21, 2003.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Lack of sun.

2. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Excessive moisture here has been the problem for lawns yellowing in appearance as well as leaf spot hitting because of cooler temps. There could be a number of reasons for the discoloration you're experiencing and only you know your conditions that may be contributing to it. Pre-em can and does do some root pruning to existing grasses but if its applied at the rates recommended then there should be no problem. Tall fescue is hardy enough to tolerate many conditions but lacking nutrients can hamper its recuperative abilities.

3. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the "FEED ME" If you are going to be spraying put about 4 oz of ferromec /thousand and some slow release N to go with it.

Jim

4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I would check for leaf spot and/or brown patch, it's on alot of lawn here right now.

5. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes we have had way over normal rain ammounts with its share of cloudy and lower than normal temps lately! The lawns had been growing more than we need them to as normal spring rush with about 8" of growth each week cut down to between 4-3.5" each week. So far no brown patch and no results since the last pre-M and still weeds are popping up. The thing about this Pre-m is for the last 2 years I have been still getting weeds...and I hate spraying for weeds because its leaving big bare patches of just dirt. Mainly when I shoot the clover it will leave the large bare patches.

6. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

I hope I'm wrong replying to your last message. You said you hate spraying weeds after treating with Pre-M. I hope you're not talking about perennial broadleafs like dandelion and thistle, clover, etc.

If so, you need to take a label reading lesson and have a serious
    thought about what you are doing!

Gallery is the only preemergent that is effective on many perennial broadleaf weeds and even with it's use, you will have to kill the carry over weeds from the previous season with a three way or some other postemergent weed control.

Like I said, I hope you weren't talking about these weeds or you
    don't know what you're doing!

7. Bunton Guy

Lordo, I know nothing ?? how does that sound im a complete idoit ! does that make it all better ? Im trying to learn here...I mean isnt that what this site is about?

8. Mix is to strong, you are killing the grass also in most avg cases, there are exceptions, but those are turf areas that have been neglected for many many years.

9. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Didn't mean to claim you are an idiot, Bunton. Maybe I used strong language for this sight. If I offended you I am sorry!

The point I was trying to make is to read each label closely.
    If you read it for each product you use, you may be able to answer alot of the questions you have for the sight.

"When all else fails, read the directions!"

10. Bunton Guy

I sprayed at the rate that the Lesco man suggested for our area. I will try less oz. per gallon this time. Many of the lawns I spray are ones that have been neglected by the home owners for years.