Loosing the battle

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bavaria-n, Jul 16, 2009.

1. bavaria-n

bavaria-n LawnSite Member

I am using Weed B Gun to clean my lawn off weeds, it worked fine on other weeds except the Violets, even double dose do not bather them.
    Is there something that kills the Violets?

violets-300.jpg

2. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Wild Violets can be a tough weed to kill. I would reccomend hiring a professional, I'm not sure your going to find something to do it at Lowes or Home Depot.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Use a product that contains quinclorac. Repeat as needed. Add soap to your solution to reduce runoff.

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed. Those turkeys are tough.

5. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Bavaria,
    Wild African Violets are pretty tricky to control, yet it can be done!
    I am treating warm-season turfgrasses so the list I have to use is quite insufficient for your cooler climate turf. Here are some products to look up and do some research on. The State of N.Y. and its counties will have opposing restrictions on what you may purchase and use.

Manor or Blade (Metsulfuron)
    Confront or Turflon
    Triclopyr
    Corsair

You will need to do some extensive reading of these chemical labels as to the use on your specific turfgrass species. The use of these chemicals may harm your turfgrass.
    Usually violets require multiple applications of most chemicals to control effectively.
    Weed-B-Gone is a good product for the small and actively growing tender broadleaf weeds like henbit, chickweed,etc. But these hard waxy coated flowering violets are harder to control..
    Maybe someone in your location can lead you in the right direction on purchase, but maybe hiring someone with the experience will provide more control. I cannot tell you how to control these weeds in your state, all I can do is give you some different chemicals that we are suggested down south. You can do the research for your turfgrass selections, and then choose what is best..

Good Luck!

6. bavaria-n

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

8. bavaria-n

Thank you guys

9. cinquefoil

cinquefoil LawnSite Member
    from MA

10. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

BASF's application for Drive was denied by the NYS DEC back on 08/01. In other words, quinclorac is prohibited here. Just be careful, use it carefully, and don't get caught!

I own a NYS DEC registered pesticide company, and would not break these laws... far too much at stake. As a home owner, you have to make that choice.... in the meantime, I still search for an approved herbicide that will work on wild violets.