1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lose or gain jobs due to contract?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sharpcuts, May 18, 2010.

1. sharpcuts

sharpcuts LawnSite Member
    from NE OK

OK, so I am just curious whether anyone has lost/gained jobs because of a contract. Sorry if that sounds confusing but here's the scenario.

I had a lady call last week to get a quote. They are an older couple, live in a middle class development, with a nice home. They, like many in this economy, lost much of their retirement in the stock markets. They are asking me to bid because they are currently in a contract with another company. Now here's the strange thing: they are completely happy with the guy that's doing it now! They just don't want a contract. Now the guy they currently have only does contracts, no exceptions. I, on the other hand, do both. I know that they probably won't save alot just because they aren't in a contract, but somehow they will feel more in control of their monthly expenses:dizzy:.

Just wondering if you have lost or gained any jobs because of this type of thing? Is this a trend we might see more of in our low economy?
  2. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Be careful if you give them a by cut price that its good for weekly mowing@ bi weekly@ etc. Don't do a weekly price on an on call basis.
  3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

In other words, they want a cheaper price. Don't be fooled about the "I just don't want a contract" BS.

This is how my residential agreements(I call them agreements not contracts) work... The customer signs, but can cancel at anytime with 2 weeks' notice, written or phone call.

Win-win situation. No arguing over the price because it's in writing, but the customer has an out.
  4. sharpcuts

sharpcuts LawnSite Member
    from NE OK

yeah, I use the same kind of agreement. & I know not to charge the same for weekly & bi-weekly. My agreement spells out the schedule as well, & states that any less frequency there will be an up charge. I was up front with them that it would need a weekly mowing. They said something about the fact that they wouldn't have to pay through the winter without a contract. The way I figure it, it comes out the same either way unless my cut price is lower per time than the other guy's. I gave them the same price I would give anyone else. She wanted to look at some of my work, so I told her of a couple of jobs I do in the same sub. A lot of the older folks in my area don't like the idea of a contract for some reason. Prefer the handshake agreement thing they were used to I guess.
  5. LandscapemanFL

LandscapemanFL LawnSite Member

I have used them in the past. I just offer two different rates, Discounted for the contract/agreement and a little higher for the non. Most customers go for the no contract plan. I have had calls like yours, I dont understand the whole concept. But I am happy for the new customers.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That is not my problem, should have sold before the bubble burst then
    they would have made out, we're talking 5 to 10 times the money invested.
    Come to think of it, maybe they did sell.

Finish the contract, then call me again.

Ohhhh yeah, I catch the drift, time to run.

Good for him.

Forget it, I know full and well what all of that means, I'm outta here!

All the time, case like this gladly so! :waving:
  7. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

I like user agreements for residentials, provided they pay out for the month if they cancel. It helps keep things in order about what everyone agreed to. A must considering some customers have split personalities or something.
  8. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

My thoughts also.
  9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have recently lost jobs to people who think its cheaper to go with a contract. the fools didnt bother to crunch the numbers
  10. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

In my case all my contract customers are cheaper than pay as you go. When I can schedule and count on mowing or doing whatever it is cheaper.