1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Loseing accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wannabemowing, Apr 16, 2008.

1. wannabemowing

wannabemowing LawnSite Member

Just wondering how many people out there really got hit hard this year for lost accounts due to low ballers? I was talking with my boss this past weekend and he owns his own lawn care company and he said he lost 1/3 or his mowing contracts for this season due to people low balling so bad, some of these places he is good friends with the managers and has been mowing them for 20+ years!! Hope not everybody is getting hit hard by the low ballers out there!!
  2. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

lost 50 now just waiting for the other 250 to jump ship, well besides that the ones i kept are spending money. these are bid companies low balling not just the illegals could be a fun year espically comming off a slow winter time will tell
  3. wannabemowing

I hear ya I'm really hoping he picks up some more accounts or it could be a slow summer. I already know he hardly has any landscaping so the mowing is huge but losing 1/3 of the accounts isn't a good start!! Any he lost most of those account to legit bid companies too!!
  4. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Lost a few but most all of them were mow only accounts so not a big deal. They have already been replaced. We are putting up door hangers on each and every block that we service to gain more business and to hedge against customer loss due to low ballers in case we loose some more.
  5. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

Im not losing any, i cant find any! Last year i was pretty busy. Just had the newspaper give out 5k flyers and not one call. This economy and gas prices are making home owners low ball.
  6. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

i was just talking with my old partner we did 300k in landscaping last year at one house, they loved it wanted to do more so they called him back(we are no longer partners but still good friends) their budget 30k huge drop off, seeing that ever where
  7. wannabemowing

wow that is a huge drop in a budget!! It's crazy how the economy and fuel prices are hurting everybody. My boss has a fairly small company, we usually run just one crew of three for mowing and mow all week so he usually has not more then six employees employed during the summer and he is predicting his fuel cost for the year to be around $50,000 granted he also plows in the winter and runs 3-4 trucks and a skip loader but that is a hell of al ot of money, a lot of people don't even make that much in a year!! It sure would be nice if the fuel costs would come down!!
  8. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I have lost a few. it was funny, I picked one up today, just to come home to a phone call from another one of my accounts saying I am dropped. Someone put estimates in one of the devlopements I cut in and they were 10 dollar cheaper then me. O well keep plugin away and honour the Lord.
  9. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I've lost just a few, its a few I didnt mind loosing any ways. I love it when you give these people a price break over the past 3 years and go to raise it 2 whole dollars a week they look for some one else....who needs them!
  10. wannabemowing

I have to admit that a few that he lost I was happy to hear we didn't have them anymore:) but at the same time it means we don't have as work to do with equals less $$$ for me and I don't like that idea.