Losing a good small engine shop

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Twotoros, Feb 23, 2001.

1. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

Found out today that a favorite dealer of many of us here is folding. On top of that he is the best small engine guy in town. There is a chance he may work for the compitition or never turn a wrench again. He put the commercial guys first .Now we'll be waiting weeks to get work done , all the other shops are owned by grade A a-holes. However I am getting some killer deals on some new stuff.:(
    That's what happens when you live in a town with a depressed economy.
    We lost penny's,nordstrom's,wards, a huge furniture store and quite a few small stores just this year.

2. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hear that. We had sort of the same thing happen here. The local dealer went out of business after 50 years in the same location. Fortunately for us, we live in a big metro area and there are another 4 dealers (lawn equipment) within 10 miles. However, these guys were 5 blocks away and real convenient! Now the nearest Bunton dealer is a 40 minute drive. We do a lot of parts ordering with J. Thomas and we'll have all the Bunton parts now shipped to us directly from the distributor in the area - it means we'll have to inventory a lot more to keep things running smooth. It won't affect us too much because I do all the mechanic work myself - but I've talked to some compaines that are really gonna be hard hit by this closing.
    I was even thinking of doing some extra "on call" mechanic work for other companies here at the shop to fill the void and pick up some extra $. But, the wife is expecting in early May and nearly killed me when I even mentioned it! I know the shops around here are gonna be real busy come spring. The other shop closed in late Fall - so they haven't had the rush on increased business yet. Gone are the days of parking lot repairs for those guys - here come the "we'll have it for you in 7-10 days".
    Good luck - I hope your situation turns out Ok for you.

3. plow kid

plow kid Banned

In the winter i work on snowblowers and mowers for a small repair shop when they get too over loaded, I am up to my a$$ in mowers 22 to be worked on [tune up's] and 6 to be delivered tonight. We have had 3 major dealerships go out of buisness around here, I dont know how long H & S will make it, wards is leaving so is ames[sucks anyways]and churchills changes hands and the ceo decided that the toledo area didnt need 5 stores so now we have 2 and i have to drive to krogers 10 miles away, God Toledo SUCKS!!

4. Jason Pallas

Nate - do you find the mechanic work tends to pay well - or is it more aggravation than it's worth? I like the mecahnical repair end of the business a lot - it gives me a chance to get dirty - with a good excuse. However, if I were going to work on someone else's stuff, I'd need it to be worth my time.

5. plow kid

plow kid Banned

The tuneups make me no money at all about $10.00 each for replacing the points condenser and plug , you know how much is involved, the houseing , flywheel ....... dinking around for 1/2 hour to make 10 bucks is not worth it, but the major engine work i love, like idiots freezing up a engine from not useing oil, its fun swapping out everything into a new short block, fifty bucks for a hour of work i'll take that any day, i told Aaron today that i am done with tune ups, only major engine overhaul work, the tune ups are a pain, but other then that i love it and hate the thought of having to mow this year, i'd rather be in the garage.

6. Jason Pallas

I agree - the rebuilds are much more interesting (just got done with a 14 kaw this weekend). I like doing a lot of welding/part fabrication, etc... even spindle rebuilds are sometimes "fun". We're set up for all of that so it's easy. I know a lot of guys that are really gonna be "hit" come April when they're stuff starts breaking and there's no one here to fix it. I'm sure I could even pick up a bundle doing a lot of work for homeowners too. The local shop that went under did a ton of local business like that. One ad in the local paper and I'd be up to my neck in 21" repairs! It's be good for the summer when things slow down - but not in the spring!

7. plow kid

plow kid Banned

Do you know anything about honda engines? i have a 36" wb mower that needs some work done, i am not into honda real well.